Issues with Messaging Moodle 3.3

Issues with Messaging Moodle 3.3

by Ryan Sullivan -
Number of replies: 2

Greetings,

I have a situation in which some students are abusing the messaging system by sending inappropriate messages between themselves. I could just go in and turn off messaging via the advanced options, but I have other teachers that have assignments set up to message them when students have submitted their work. 

Is there a way I can have messaging turned ON for teachers but OFF for students? Or is there some more elegant way of making this possible?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ryan Sullivan

Re: Issues with Messaging Moodle 3.3

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
There is a couple of ways of doing this, but not necessarily ideal. 

1. Change the site:sendmessage capability for the authenticated user role from allow to not set, This should disable all messages for Authenticated Users without switching the Messaging module off. 

2. Go to Teacher Role, and set Send Message to any user to Allow.  That should work.

However, inheritance sometimes disrupts permissions, so it may be that you will need to create a new Role for Teachers, I wouldn't think so but I mention it just in case. 

Try it and see first.  

Also, there is a difference between messages and notifications. My understanding is that the default setting for assignment submissions is set to send notifications. If this is what your Teachers are receiving, then it may be you can just turn the messaging module off without disruption to notifications. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: Issues with Messaging Moodle 3.3

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Ryan,

If it's only a few students who are abusing the messaging system, how about creating a 'Cannot send messages' role with site:sendmessage set to 'prohibit', then assign this role in the system context to anyone using messaging inappropriately. (Source: Messaging FAQ)