Plugins traffic

EU General Data Protection Regulation and plugins

Gareth J Barnard
EU General Data Protection Regulation and plugins
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

With the forthcoming EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the 25th May 2018 this got me thinking about my plugins and how they might be affected.  Especially after reading around the regulation where it indicates that the publisher of the site is responsible for what the code does.  I know that Moodle HQ will be adding plugins for the regulation.  But what about third party plugins?  Are you confident about them?  To this end and to get the ball rolling I've written a post on eLearningWorld about Collapsed Topics (my contributed course format) and GDPR.  So as not to cross post, you can reach the article via https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=364186 (as I feel the post is both specific course format and general plugin related).

So, after reading it, what do you think?  Are you confident that the data your plugins store complies with the regulation?  Even though the regulation is an EU one, if you have users in the EU then you need to comply (my understanding).

Average of ratings: -
Picture of David Mudrák
Re: EU General Data Protection Regulation and plugins
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersPlugins guardiansTestersTranslators

Even though the regulation is an EU one, if you have users in the EU then you need to comply (my understanding).

Yes, that's correct.

But what about third party plugins?

There will be new interfaces introduced soon that will allow any plugin to expose the personal user data it works with, so that they can become part of the privacy statements and other places required by GDPR.

Are you confident about them?

Plugins that will not implement the new privacy related descriptions, will be highlighted to admins so they are aware of them and can re-act adequately. As always, there is no guarantee for anything. It's all about trust and reputation.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Gareth J Barnard
Re: EU General Data Protection Regulation and plugins
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Thank you for your reply David.

Average of ratings: -