General developer forum

Change html of group/assign.php

Picture of Julia Rietveld
Change html of group/assign.php

Hi guys,

I'm not happy with the looks of the Add Participants page. It's a UX nightmare if you ask me ;). Can I change the html of the core Moodle file group/assign.php? Is it even possible to copy core files to your theme and change them?

I'm afraid that my sass changes just won't do so I would really appreciate any suggestion on how to change the html of this file.

Love,

Julia

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Mark Johnson
Re: Change html of group/assign.php
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

The correct way to do this would be to override the renderer or template used to display that page in your theme, so that it uses your method to output the page rather than the core one.

Unfortunately, group/assign.php doesn't currently use a renderer or template, it just echoes some HTML, which makes overriding it in this way impossible.  If you were feeling particularly civic-minded you could raise a tracker issue and submit a patch that moves the HTML to a template - then you'd be able to override it in your theme (you could even offer some UX improvements along the way!).

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Julia Rietveld

Hi Mark,

thank you for your reply. I managed to solve this unfriendly layout by tweaking the sass. It's no ideal but looks a lot beter then Boost's solution.

Picture of Darko Miletić
Core developersParticularly helpful Moodlers

You can always try to use https://docs.moodle.org/dev/customscripts

That permits you to override whatever you want.