Import sections - what permissions needed?

Import sections - what permissions needed?

by Peter Diedrichs -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have a role, "librarian" that should be able to import activities and resources from a repository (a specific library course), into other courses. But the role should not be able to do a lot of other administration in the courses.

I have managed to let the librarian import activiteis and resources, but even if the whole section is checked while importing, all the activities and resources are stacked in a hidden section in the bottom of the courses, as "orphaned activities".

What permissions are needed in order for a role to also import the section information? I have been experimenting with the permission regarding "section*", but still no success. (moodle/backup:backupsection and moodle/restore:restoresection)

I am using Moodle 3.2+

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

Re: Import sections - what permissions needed?

by Peter Diedrichs -

Anyone?

In reply to Peter Diedrichs

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Defining what permissions and capabilities required for a created Role remotely is actually impossible. For example, I am not there, at your institute, I don't know what your finer requirements are, despite the outline you have given. I can't make that kind of response. What I can suggest is the same as I have done for a specific Role that I needed to create for similar sort of very limited editing capabilities. I used the Non-editing Teacher Role as the template for what I wanted. This Role has most of the accessibility options without the editing options. I then worked with the people who would be using that Role and we set their Capabilities and Permissions, pretty much by trial and error. 

In another setting, one Teacher wanted his students to have limited editing Rights in specific courses, so using the Student Role as a template, I did the same thing, refined the Role by trial and error.  

1. Define the Role as best you can on paper first.

2. Select an existing non-editing Role that may be closest to what you need as the template for the new Role. 

3. Edit the Permissions to suit your initial definitions. 

4. Adjust the Role's permissions as need dictates. 

Caution here: do not take a Role and try to downgrade it to suit. It is easy to overlook something and find the people with the new Role doing something to wreck a course or two until it is picked up. Always, always pick a more restrictive Role and build it up, it is easier to control actions. 

Good luck.  

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Peter Diedrichs -

Thank you, Colin. I too think "building up" a role is better than "mounting down", for the same reasons you give.

But, I actually don't think there's a way to allow a role without quite extensive permissions in the course room to import whole sections in a way that they are visible. I'll have to work around that, somehow.