Disabling "Edit this tag" for students

Disabling "Edit this tag" for students

by Mela Sogono -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all,

We are implementing tags on our website. We do not want students to be able to edit these tags, however an "Edit this tag" link appears when viewing a tag.

I have double and triple checked the Student role, and can confirm that the "Edit existing tags" option https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Capabilities/moodle/tag:edit is unticked. I have even tried setting it to "Prevent", however the "Edit this tag" link is still appearing for students.  

When logged in using my student test account, I can click on this tag, edit the tag description, and add related tags. We do not want students to be able to do any of these tasks.

We are running Moodle 3.3.2. Anyone know how to disable "Edit this tag" for students, short of hiding it with CSS? (We'd still want admin/managers to be able to edit these tags, just not students.)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mela Sogono

Re: Disabling "Edit this tag" for students

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Right off the top of my head, it is possible that this permission is inherited from another Role, well, maybe not but... look at all Roles, see if the permission is enabled elsewhere and disable it if it is in any Role below Teacher.  

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello,

Please double-check on your site that the capability to edit tags is not allowed for the authenticated user role. It should be not set for all roles apart from the manager role. (As you've found, preventing the capability for the student role doesn't have any effect, since tags are outside courses, and users generally have the role of student within a course.)

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Thanks Helen, that is what I was thinking, glad you were able to make it clearer. Cheers... 

In reply to Helen Foster

by Mela Sogono -

Hi Helen & Colin,

Thanks so much for your responses! I've only started getting into roles and permissions so this was really helpful.

The issue was with the authenticated user role having the permission to "Edit tags." I've unset that permission, and now my student test account is unable to edit tags.

I'd checked the Student role (and all other roles above it) but didn't think to check the authenticated user role. Next time I'll check the authenticated user role as a starting point.

Kind regards,

Mela

In reply to Mela Sogono

Re: Disabling "Edit this tag" for students [Solved]

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Mela, thanks for posting how you resolved the problem, as the info can help others with the same problem. smile

Regarding understanding roles and permissions, you're welcome to experiment with them on our Moodle sandbox demo site where you can log in as an admin in one browser and as a student or teacher in another browser then check any changes. The site resets on the hour, so it's good to start experimenting just after the hour to give yourself plenty of time!