Fillable pdf invisible for grading tool

Fillable pdf invisible for grading tool

by Whitney Lowe -
Number of replies: 9

We are using Moodle 3.1.7 and have several assignments where students are asked to fill in a chart in a spreadsheet. A few people had problems with this because they did not have Microsoft Excel, which was the program that the chart was constructed in. I changed the assignment over to a fillable pdf form, but the results don't actually show up in the Moodle grading tool when a fillable pdf is submitted. Does anyone know a workaround for this?

Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Whitney Lowe

Re: Fillable pdf invisible for grading tool

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

...and they showed up when you used Excel? How?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Whitney Lowe -

When students fill out the Excel spreadsheet and upload it, everything shows up fine in the grading tool. However, when I changed the original assignment sheet to a fillable pdf, they complete the file and upload it and all I see in the grading annotation screen is the blank document. However, if I click on the pdf that they uploaded, I can view it in Acrobat and see the filled in document. 

In reply to Whitney Lowe

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm probably missing something obvious. But where in Moodle can *students* upload an Excel spreadsheet? 

I can't think of any activity that allows this.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Whitney Lowe -

They download the blank spread sheet file which is put in the course as a File. Then in the Assignment activity they can upload the spreadsheet file as the assignment they are turning in. Perhaps I am not explaining that part well, so let me know if that doesn't make sense. 

In reply to Whitney Lowe

by Howard Miller -

But Excel spreadsheets are not a supported filetype for the grading annotation...

You can upload any kind of file you like but only PDF files can be annotated... unless you have document conversion set up.

In reply to Whitney Lowe

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Have you thought of having the students try using Libre Office Calc? It's free so any one can use it, it can open Excel files, plus it can make charts like the Excel ones.

In reply to Whitney Lowe

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Work-around?  no ... maybe better all the way around????

How about Google sheets or even o365?

You provide a copy of the GS or even the o365 (I think) via url that ends with a /copy.

Sheet is theirs then.

When they finish, they share back the URL to you so you can view/edit. - even make changes or suggestions *in* the sheet.

Hmmmm .... doesn't add to the files stored on your Moodle ... sheets are accessible outside of Moodle completely - built in 'plan B'?   Besides that the sheets themselves can be 'enhanced' online ... go beyond a 'chart'. ;)

2 cents.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Whitney Lowe -

I have thought of using some of these other programs, but really trying to keep it simple for our users. If they have to learn how to open up or use another program while they are working on this it is a significant distraction. Still trying to find out which way would be easiest for them. 

Appreciate the good ideas and input!

In reply to Ken Task

by Whitney Lowe -

I have thought of using some of these other programs, but really trying to keep it simple for our users. If they have to learn how to open up or use another program while they are working on this it is a significant distraction. Still trying to find out which way would be easiest for them. 

Appreciate the good ideas and input!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)