Automatically scrolling upcoming events block??

Automatically scrolling upcoming events block??

by Emma Richardson -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I would love to put a bit of motion on a page.  Has anyone come up with a automatically scrolling upcoming events block - I tried the CUL one but while it claims to have dynamic scrolling, I am not seeing it.  Perhaps dynamic is not the same as automatic!

I was thinking of a Generico template maybe but I have yet to figure out the complicated parts of generico and have only had success with iframes! Is this something you could do with css?  I see there are css animation properties - have any of you css gurus used just css to get something scrolling automatically or do you still have to have an additional underlying script to make that happen?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Automatically scrolling upcoming events block??

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Emma,

There used to be a magic scroller in Moodle 1.7 but not sure it was a plugin come to think of it now...on the other hand I may be mixing this up with a Bulitin Boarid software I used to have 12 years ago!

CSS Tricks is your best place to check if there is something like you want to do with CSS.

I made a scrolling banner in 1998 using CSS alternating a set of images, so I dare say there will be some CSS options out there now using modern day CSS.

In the mean time I go check to see what's out there.

Cheers

Mary

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Further to my last comment...

https://css-tricks.com/forums/topic/incomplete-horizontal-text-scrolling/

the HTML and CSS are in the examples in that link.

If yon add CSS to the themes Custom CSS using tht Upcoming Event notifications CSS class selectors it may work.

May be you could add a renderer to your theme to tweet it a bit?

M

In reply to Mary Evans

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Mary - it looks like it is not going to be quite as easy as I thought but I will persevere!!  Maybe I can persuade the CUL block developers to have that as an option!!

by Mary Evans -

By the way I found the HTML that I used with the scrolling images from back in 1998, which included a short piece of JavaScript code and not CSS as I had said in my comnents earlier.

So its not as easy as one would have thought. Modifying the block is possibly a possibility.

I might look at this and see if it can be done in a themr using a renderer...