New Course default Blocks

New Course default Blocks

by Robert Kovacich -
Number of replies: 11

Hello All.

I administer Moodle for a small Community College in Oregon. 

I would like to set up all new course with the same blocks in set positions.

Example, every new class I create has the Participants Block on the top right, with the Messages Block right below that, and the Calendar Block right below that block.

Is there a way I can force blocks into new course in this manner?

Cheers,

-Rob

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Kovacich

Re: New Course default Blocks

by Robert Kovacich -

3.1.5 Version

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

One way to do this is to create a course named something like "shell" or "template," and create a backup of it.  Then, whenever you need a new course, create the new course starting with the backup.

When another offering of an existing course is needed, do essentially the same thing.  Make a backup of the course, then restore to a new course.

I do not know of anyway, however, to make global edits (meaning adding/removing blocks, etc.) to existing courses.

This technique also works for resources and activities, such as forms, quizzes, and assignments.  Start by creating the first one, then duplicate it and move it into other topics.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Robert Kovacich -

That makes complete sense but that would take a great deal of time I usually need to create 30 to 45 courses each quarter so I don't think I could commit to that process.

Thank you.

Rob

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Rob,

If you have server access, you can change the default block layout for new courses by editing your site config file. Please see the documentation Block layout for details.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Alexander Kurakin -

Helen, say, please! What does list of blocks mean since we have two columns of blocks? So we should have two lists. What's wrong? Thanks!

In reply to Alexander Kurakin

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Alexander,

The documentation Block layout mentions

Note how the colon is used to separate those blocks appearing on the left, from those appearing on the right.

In other words, a colon is used to separate the blocks in the two columns.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Alexander Kurakin -

Helen, thanks! I was inattentive...

But one more question, please! I set

$CFG->defaultblocks_override = ':news_items,calendar_upcoming,recent_activity,navigation,settings';

but Navigation and Settings blocks are still placed left.

How to change this? Thanks.

In reply to Helen Foster

by sharika ha -

Hello Helen,

i did all details from Block Layout. but, nothing happen. 

i did reset resetbloc.php to reset all existing courses, and nothing happen too.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I don't do this myself, but there is a method of adding the courses via a .csv file, I believe.  I am not sure if this will help, but you might want to explore it.

https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Upload_courses

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Robert Kovacich -

Thank you Rick.

I think Helen's comment will be the easiest.

Cheers,

-Rob