Teaching with Moodle

flight assigment feedback teacher in Moodle

Picture of Gemma Lesterhuis
flight assigment feedback teacher in Moodle
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

The case: 

A flight instructor evaluates his student during the flight. 
The flight instructor checks of criteria that are done during a flight lesson
Each criteria can be evaluated with a D,-S,S,+S
When a criteria is evaluated as "D" or "-S" this means that the criteria has not been completed to the satisfaction of the instructor.

And that criteria needs to come back in the next lesson. 

The student can visit the Moodle course to see his/her development and notes that are made by the instructor. 
This helps the student to know what to improve and what to expect next lesson. 

What options did I consider:

the assignement module with rubric for each lesson: 

This seems to work fine, but it is difficult to see in the end which criteria's are done and which are not.
We use the activity completion settion in combination with the passing grade to give an overview which lessons are completed. 
When one of the criteria is marked as "negative" or "not done" the assignement for that lesson wil not be completed. 

The issue is that some criteria will return back into another lesson and we don't have an overview of the criteria. 

the questionnair

Even though you can create a nice overview. The issue is that the student should only see his own progress and not those of other students.
We could "fix" that by using the restriction profile option but then again - this will be a lot of work. 

the databank

I thought of that, but I figured I would face the same issue as with the questionnair and the questionnair is easier to setup for a teacher. 

Checklist

We can only check if it done, no other rating option. 

Checkmark

have not tried it out - but wondering if people have experience with this plugin. 

Why post this:

• To see if anyone else came a cross to a similar case and has a solutions which I did not thought of

Please feel free to ask any question you like to make this more specific. 

Gemma

Average of ratings: -
Picture of AL Rachels
Re: flight assigment feedback teacher in Moodle
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi Gemma,

The biggest problem I see with trying to enter flight evaluation records for students is that most of the Moodle activities require the student to submit/make entries. But the IP is the one needing to enter the flight evaluation data.

So to use questionnaire, you probably would need to make two person groups with one student in each group along with their IP, and have the questionnaire set to visible groups. The IP makes the entry, which is visable by the student and IP only.

You could set up a database activity the same way with the groups. Probably would be more versatile as you can create templates to make an entry form similar to whatever your IP's are currently using on paper.

The assignment activity set up for entering grades for an offline activity is another viable way to rate a student and have the info be private between the IP and student. This method allows you to use a rubric, marking guide or checklist grading option,

Another possibility is the dialogue plugin using a Snippet template to set up a grading rubric, with the added advantage of allowing back and forth messaging between the student and IP.

As a retired US Army Helicopter IP, my inclination would be to first try 2 databases, then 2 assignments. The first of each set up to grade individual flights with the second of each set to keep track of overall progress of required training. My reason for trying databases first is that I could recreate the form that I used in flight as the add entry and view single templates, and could then recreate a log book look using list view template.

Note: If you go here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=356053#p1436663 there is a time tracking database preset that could be adapted for the flight log. It is also available here: https://william.moodlecloud.com/course/view.php?id=4

Hi Al, 

thank you for your fast responds.

I have not tried it out but I also thought of your solution to place a student and IP in 1 group. 
But then I figured it would not work since an IP can be in more then 1 group. 

And when the IP makes the entry it will show to all groups in which he will be connected. 

Or am I wrong? 

I figured the only solution to that would be making a database / questionnair copy for each student, but that sounds painfull if you have +50 students to track.

I do like your suggestion on the dialogue plugin with snippet template.
Another suggestion I had outside the form was using the competency framework.

Happy to hear your thoughts! 

Gem

Picture of AL Rachels

Hi Gemma,

"And when the IP makes the entry it will show to all groups in which he will be connected. " - No. The trick is to set groups to, Separate Groups. Members of a group can only see posts to their group.

Let's say there are three groups, Larry, Moe , and Curly. Larry and the IP are in group Larry, Moe and the IP are in group Moe, and Curly and the IP are in group Curly.

When the IP is ready to post the results of a training flight with Larry, he first switches to group Larry and enters data. At that point Larry and the IP can see the entry. Moe and Curly see nothing. The IP (teacher) can switch views from one group to another, but the students cannot. Each student can see entries posted only to the group they are in. Just because the IP is in multiple groups, it does not mean that everyone can see everything the IP posts in other groups.

Do you use a standard type of form for in flight evaluation where the IP just marks off items? Or something similar? Do you have a form that lists all the required maneuvers/items the student has to be marked as being qualified to perform? For ease of look up, I think the database would be best, especially if you have "forms" that could be duplicated as templates.

Of course I was "overthinking" it. 

Yes it is a standaard type of form for in flight evaluation. 

In one case it is for each flight a form. 
In another case (yes 2 flight schools) it is 1 form. Which makes indeed the database the best option. 

For the 1 form a flight I guess best is to make a database for each flight. 
But I will try 2 kinds and see where it goes. 

Thank you so much for thinking along. 

Picture of AL Rachels

I have a little spare time over the next few days, so if you could email me pictures of the forms, I would be interested in trying to create a preset based off the time tracker preset William and I worked on last year. Except for Reforger '90, all my flying was with the US Army here in the US, Alaska, and South Korea, so I have no idea what they might look like. drachels at drachels dot com

Hi Al,

That is really nice though I don't have the sheets myself yet - they did promose to send them to me.
But I like playing with the DB activity myself a bit to much to hand it over just yet. And with your time template I have a nice example on maybe fixing an extra demand and that is tracking the flight time of the totall lessons. 

And I actually hope that it would be possible to even show the total flight time in the Database block. smile 

When you wrote about the groups - let's say it was not my proudest moment for the fact I actually suggested that solution before I made this post, but redraw that solution for the fact I was overthinking it. But you got me back on track again, and for that I am gratefull. 

Funny story is maybe that  it was actually the iMoot15 presentation that made me enthousiastic about the use of the activity.
I tried out several things but never really had a proper assignment to until a year ago. 
I will use your time template since it has some nice tricks as the menu and time tracking. As well it is very clear on JS and CSS use.

The result is a intern coaches database in Moodle for employees to search a coach.
By clicking on the coaches image they can find more information about the coach
And I made to buttons: one that redirects to a PDF form that can be filled in.
And the other one to evaluate the coach in the questionnair module. 

This is by the way without the use of extra CSS or Javascript so very basic. 
I used HTML code for the buttons though. 

But I do hope that if I get stuck or have questions about the database activity that I can contact you. 
I am great with HTML smile In a learning curve when it comes to css (I can pull out a few css tricks) but get lost on Javascript. 

Picture of AL Rachels

Hi Gemma,

Good luck with your project. You are welcome to ask for help anytime.

By the way, back in my army helicopter flying days, we tracked flight time as hours and tenths of hours. I don't know if you do it that way in your area, but if so, the original time tracker calculated the time that way.