Grade_grades table

Grade_grades table

by Alex Nishant -
Number of replies: 6

(Xposting as the original thread did not get any responses)

Hello community,

I am trying to understand how the grade_grades table works. I set a scorm activity to record the highest grade and completed the activity. The grade_grades table has the timestamp when the activity was completed. However, I then changed the attempts management to last completed attempt and completed the activity again. The grade_grades table's timemodified column did not change. Any ideas why this might be the case or in other words - what happens before an activity data is entered into the grade_grades table.

I suppose a follow up question would be, if I change the grading method (from highest to last attempt), why is this not amending the grade_grades table or is there something I need to do for the scores to reflect in this table.

Moodle version 2.6

Thank you all.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alex Nishant

Re: Grade_grades table

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Alex,
from a technical perspective you need to check if your SCORM content is still submitting a score or a completed|passed status since those are the two CMI elements that can trigger a re-grade based on the user activity. The other event that triggers a re-grade is deleting a user attempt.

When you update the activity settings, including grade one, the grades should be updated for any user according to the grade setting and what already tracked by each user.

Could you create a simple scenario w/ two users, a simple SCORM course which set score and status properly and some combination of tracking data upon which, when changing the grade setting, you'll miss the expected value based on the users' tracking data and to what described in https://docs.moodle.org/26/en/SCORM_FAQ#SCORM_and_the_Gradebook?

I do not recall grade issues in 2.6 but you know, maybe you've found one or I missed something in the history of the Tracker wink.
Please, note that 2.6 is unsupported so it would be better to replicate the issue, if any, in 3.4 and trying to back-port the fix to your 2.6.

HTH,
Matteo

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Matteo,

When you update the activity settings, including grade one, the grades should be updated for any user according to the grade setting and what already tracked by each user.

Does that trigger a "re-grade" of the scorm result and force an update of the gradebook?

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

As a student goes through a scorm activity the progress is recorded somewhere.

1. How does Moodle track that progress?
  2. And where In the Moodle database does that progress get stored?
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Luis,
yes, but only upon the conditions above i.e. score and/or status.

HTH,
Matteo

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Alex Nishant -

Thank you very much Matteo and Luis for pointing me in the right direction. I have temporarily written a workaround - but will revist this point soon as I dont believe I should need to update the grades_grades table manually if the grading criteria has been set to last attempt. I will look into it in detail.