Is there a way to allow a student a choice of activities for course completion?

Is there a way to allow a student a choice of activities for course completion?

by Annie Guetschow -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

Two of my professors wish to give students choices about which projects they can complete. In other words, they will have to reach a certain

number of points, but they want to give them the freedom to choose which activities to use to reach that goal. Students might do 5 smaller projects or 2 larger projects for the same points.

1. Is there a way to allow a student a choice of activities for course completion?  How might I set this up for them?

2. Do you have a sense of how we might set up a grade book to reflect these choices? Can it be done?

Thank you,

Annie Guetschow

We are using the following version of Moodle - Moodlerooms 3.3 (Build: 20171228)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Annie Guetschow

Re: Is there a way to allow a student a choice of activities for course completion?

by Annie Guetschow -

Hello, is there a better place for me post this question?

In reply to Annie Guetschow

Re: Is there a way to allow a student a choice of activities for course completion?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

A lot depends upon what you are trying to do.

In general, I would group these choice activities in the gradebook as a category, then sum the scores to get a category total.  Depending upon how many choice activities you provide in the course, the gradebook can become very long.

The difficulty might be if you desire some advanced and complex logic for students choosing the activities, such as they must do #1, can pick #2 or #3, but if they pick #2 they cannot do #5 until #4 is completed, or something like that.  But if you logic is simple, such as "you can do any of these activities and your grand total will be the accumulation of what you choose" you should be fine.

Moodle's gradebook is very powerful, much more powerful than the other popular LMSs.  But along with this power comes a steeper learning curve.  I suggest that you practice in an experimental moodle first, such as MoodleCloud.  As an example, in one of my courses I wanted moodle to tally the score of the best three of four activities, and I figured out how to do this.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Annie Guetschow -

Thank you.  I still have a lot to learn!