Linking the access of a topic to the result of a single quiz question

Linking the access of a topic to the result of a single quiz question

by Francesco Pisano -
Number of replies: 6

Hi everyone,

I'm new in the Moodle world and in this forum.

For my course I need to activate the arguments based on the result of a quiz (true / false quiz).

Each topic is associated with a quiz question and depending on the answer the topic will be displayed or not.

Here a simple example:

- Course with N topics

- then, Quiz with N questions (one for each topic)

- each question is like: "Do you already know the topic X?"

At the end of the quiz:

only the topics Xi will be shown for which the student, in the quiz, said he was not prepared on the topic.

---

For a course with few arguments I would be able to provide specific univocal scores to the quiz questions and adjust the access to the sections according to the result using the access conditions and therefore the access criterion "evaluation".

This method works.

The problem is that as the number of topics grows exponentially the number of conditions to apply to the topic (for 10 topics, there would be 10 questions, and therefore 512 restrictions for each topic: too many)

I also thought about the possibility of adding a field to the user profile (one for each topic) and making sure that this field is modified according to the type of answer to the related question of the quiz, so that then exploit the field in the access conditions argument. But I do not know how to implemet in this way either.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve the problem?

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Francesco Pisano

Re: Linking the access of a topic to the result of a single quiz question

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes. See this documentation - Restrict_access

In reply to Howard Miller

by Francesco Pisano -

I saw! 

But my problem is not uses of restrictions.

For a course with few arguments I can use restrictions easily.

But for a lot of topics the restriction's number grows up exponentially.

I'm searching another (simpler) way.

Simpler not because the Restrict_access are complicated, but they are complicated for my needs.

I try to explain better:

Quiz:
Question1: xxxxx? [true/false]
Question2: xxxxx? [true/false]

if the student mark Q1 false [A1], he will have access to Topic1
if the student mark Q2 false [A2], he will have access to Topic2

this result will be work for any combination of answers:
Studend has access to topic1 if quiz result is: A1=false & A2=true  OR    A1=false & A2=false
Studend has access to topic2 if quiz result is: A1=false & A2=false   OR    A1=true & A2=false

For 3 questions:
Studend has access to topic1 if quiz result is: A1=false & A2=true & A3=true  OR    A1=false & A2=true & A3=false  OR  A1=false & A2=false & A3=true  OR  A1=false & A2=false & A3=false

and so on..

It's not a simple way: for 10 question I have to set 512 restrictions for topics.

Do you know if it's possible to link the result of a single question (included in a multiquestions quiz) to something that permitting me to set a restriction to topic's access?

Thank you however!

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You can't restrict access based on answers to particular quiz questions. You would need to set up each question as a separate quiz. 

Just a thought... have you looked at the Lesson activity (see Lesson_activity)? 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Francesco Pisano -

thank you! 

I'll try to check if the lesson activity can solve my problem!

I will let you know

by C Behan -
Hi Francesco,

The lesson might be the way to go as Howard suggested. But just to let you know I've done something similar using a label with a completion setting where students can mark it as complete themselves. On the course page, it looks like a tick box to students. 

Then restrict access to the topic based on whether the student has ticked the label or not.

See image below.

Catherine

Attachment 0001 (1).jpg

by Francesco Pisano -

Hi Howard!
Thank you! I'm trying to follow your suggestion.

But I'm not getting a good result yet. 

I'd like to display more than one question per lesson page.

Is it possible?
I'm trying to find a way but I'm not finding it.