Teaching with Moodle

Moodle as an LMS

Picture of Christopher Tait
Moodle as an LMS

Morning,

I have had Moodle installed on our company Server. The original project was to use it to facilitate learning (as in courses). The remit has changed to more of an all-round LMS and I am struggling to get it to work the way I want.

What I want it to do (in addition to how it is working right now):

- Assign completed courses to users (as in a user completed a course or training intervention off-line and this needs to be put onto Moodle for record)

- I would like to create learning plans with set completion dates for individuals - not groups or cohrts

Has anyone got any ideas of add-ons or a work-around that could satisfy this.

Thanks,

Chris

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: Moodle as an LMS
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Moving to Teaching with Moodle forum...

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Melanie Scott
Particularly helpful Moodlers

I've been using Moodle as an LMS since 2009 for a government agency that has legally mandated training requirements annually.  We use facetoface to track classroom and outside training (course work provided outside of our agency, like college credit, conferences, webinars etc).  We use groups and cohorts extensively.  A learning plan which assigns courses based on some single attribute would be awesome but (at least in my version) isn't possible. I know there has been some roadmap discussion of something like this but I'm still on 2.8, so if it has been added, I don't know about it.

We use the Configurable Reports block to create some sql reports that give students and their supervisors access to an on-line 'transcript' so they know what they are required and what they still need to do.  We have 11 groups on our system that each manage themselves and some of them use cohorts to assign all requirements at the start--they seem to like that--and I've also created reports for staff development that show incomplete courses (one for online and one for classroom) so they can keep track of who needs to do what. Could it be smoother?  Sure but it works pretty well. There are also ways to do bulk enrollments and such.

I have seen some Totara demos which do something like training plans--Moodle +, but that requires $ and working with a vendor.

If the question is can moodle work as an LMS for non-school for on-line, blended and classroom training, the answer is yes. Can it do it exactly the way you envision it now?  Maybe.  In my 12+ years of using Moodle, I've learned sometimes looking at things from several directions rather than being married to one idea is super helpful and sometimes it gets you more than you want.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Me at the Moodle Moot NZ11
Particularly helpful Moodlers

"I would like to create learning plans with set completion dates for individuals - not groups or cohorts"

Learning Plans (in Moodle 3.4) can be assigned to individual users or Groups, or Cohorts.

https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Learning_plans#Assigning_learning_plans_to_users_or_cohorts 

"Assign completed courses to users (as in a user completed a course or training intervention off-line and this needs to be put onto Moodle for record)"

OK, well you don't mean "assign courses" you mean "manually record" courses as complete.

Again, in Moodle you can do this using Course Completion...

...criteria can include meeting an activity's grade level or a manual checking "complete" by either the student and/or teacher

[Extract from https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Course_completion]

Average of ratings: Useful (1)