Transfering courses via backup

Transfering courses via backup

by Stephan Tedesco -
Number of replies: 2

We have an older instance of Moodle (2.7) and a newer one (2.9). 

Here are the facts: 

• OLD
    • about 500 courses with topics format
    • users imported via LDAP
  • NEW
    • no courses
    • users imported via LDAP (user's IDs in the database are not the same as in the old system) - usernames and emails are the same. 

We would like to backup the old courses from the older system and restore them in the new one. Our main goal will be to transfer the old courses with the user data (enrolments, completions etc.). As the user's IDs are not the same, is there a workaround here? I assume, that the users are backded up with the course with their ID's not the usernames or emails?

Thanks for your suggestions!

S. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephan Tedesco

Re: Transfering courses via backup

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Try one course - it might just work.  I am not totally sure on the backup and restore - I know that it looks at username and email.  I would suspect it also looks at id but not sure.  An import will quickly tell you as it will error out - you can always delete the course if you have issues.

If it errors, try this. 

Remove the ldap users from the new system.  Import the courses with users.  Then, if necessary, switch the authentication method on the imported users to ldap.  Run ldap sync.  The users should then match up with the ldap system by username.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stephan Tedesco

Re: Transfering courses via backup

by Stuart Mealor -

Yes, I think it's best if you transfer the courses with user data, which will restore the users.

You can also export site users, and then import to new site.

A low-tech approach is to enrol ALL users to a hidden test course, and then Backup and Restore that course - which will ensure you have all site users copied over smile