General discussion

White paper: 4. Access to openly-licensed resources

Picture of Doug Belshaw
White paper: 4. Access to openly-licensed resources

Today I've been working on the Access to openly-licensed resources section of the MoodleNet white paper. Please do take a look at it and add your comments and feedback! This part gives a very brief overview of copyright in light of the Internet, Creative Commons, and the shift from OER to Open Educational Practices. There's also a bit in there about 'GitHub for Education'.

There three recommendations for Project MoodleNet from this section:

• Recommendation #12: Project MoodleNet should respect copyright law while allowing educators to share their resources as freely and openly as possible. 
  • Recommendation #13: Open Educational Practices should be supported in Project MoodleNet by providing educators with tools to find, create, remix, and share each other’s resources.
  • Recommendation #14: Project MoodleNet should provide educators with powerful functionality that is easy and pleasurable to use.

Please do give your feedback either in this thread, or directly on the Google Doc: Thanks in advance for your help, and to those who are commenting without my prompting!

(a reminder that the technical details of how MoodleNet will work once we've focused on the context and how we want it to work on a human level)

Picture of Dan McGuire
Re: White paper: 4. Access to openly-licensed resources

I don't think this following statement is accurate :  "Countless open access repositories have been created using a national and sector-based approach." I'm not sure of the exact number, but more importantly for our purpose here, I can't think of any repository where I can find OER Moodle courses or portions of courses, other than the Minnesota Partnership for Collaborative Curriculum, and only a few of the courses in that repository have been released, so far, as fully complete Moodle courses; 40 courses are expected to be released as they are vetted by teachers in Minnesota.

It's critical for the success of MoodleNet that types of OER are differentiated. Full Moodle courses are different than distinct learning activity modules, which are different than various artifacts which we would call a resource in Moodle.

Many of the existing open access repositories contain collections of MS Word docs, Google docs, PDFs, videos, or ePubs. These types of OER require considerable course design to become useful in a Moodle course, especially as needed for varying pedagogical approaches. For instance, how a particular OER resource is situated in a Moodle course will be different depending on whether the course is to be used in a Face to Face environment, a hybrid environment, or in a fully online environment. Determining how the student learning and student re-use of the resource is assessed will also require considerable pedagogical expertise and course design skill, and it will vary depending on local contexts.

OER have not become as widely used as they might, yet, because they have not been widely used in open access LMSs, as  discussed here. MoodleNet, IMO, needs to be the go to place for Moodle courses and well designed Moodle activities that can be easily incorporated in other Moodle courses. If the Moodle courses are Creative Commons licensed, they will be much easier to incorporate into other courses. If they are CC licensed, they can be translated and modified to fit local learning needs.

OER presents an opportunity for Moodle to become more relevant for teaching and learning than it has been in the past. The opportunity for Moodle is to replace textbooks with complete Moodle courses that include: multiple ways for students to 'own the learning,' are easily assessed according to standards, and can be modified as needed for local context.

Picture of Doug Belshaw
Re: White paper: 4. Access to openly-licensed resources

Thanks Dan! I'm not sure of the exact point you're making here, perhaps that, instead of being  a repository  of generic resources such as PDFs and ePUBs, Project MoodleNet should also feature resources that can be dropped straight into a Moodle course?

In that case, agreed. smile