General discussion

White paper: 3. News feed

Picture of Doug Belshaw
White paper: 3. News feed

I've just finished sketching out the News feed section of the MoodleNet white paper. Please do take a look at it and add your comments and feedback! This part explains how news, status updates, and messaging all got bundled together within algorithmic news feeds, and why that's a bad thing for democracy

There three recommendations for Project MoodleNet from this section:

• Recommendation #9: The three elements of news, status updates, and messaging should be controlled by users in Project MoodleNet. They should be separate if the user wishes, and combined if they prefer an approach more like other social networks.
  • Recommendation #10: Project MoodleNet should provide a raw, unfiltered feed to users, and make this available via an API that developers can build upon. Any other views or types of feed should be in addition to this.
  • Recommendation #11: To provide a disincentive for ‘clickbait’ headlines and sensationalist content, Project MoodleNet should provide mechanisms to collaboratively rate the content shared in the network. 

Please do give your feedback either in this thread, or directly on the Google Doc: https://goo.gl/vwWRVD. Thanks in advance for your help!

Picture of Wayne Gibbons
Re: White paper: News feed

As you know, I have similar views to you on the way that the “big” social networks and their algorithms work, so I’m glad to see you’ve put your stamp on this section. I particularly like that you’ve included the Nuzzel model, as I actually think that works quite well as a way to consume and share news and ideas that I might have otherwise missed. 

Picture of Doug Belshaw
Re: White paper: News feed

Thanks Wayne! I think anything that uses algorithms in a useful and transparent way is OK.