Quiz based students exams with individual path

Quiz based students exams with individual path

by Paul K -
Number of replies: 6

Hello,

I need to "digitalize" current paper based exam into a Moodle-based quiz solution. Unfortunately the actual paper based exam is structured in such a way that the students must fill three separated sections, each consisting of 20 questions. The next section will be active only then, if the students received a certain amount of points from the former section. Example:

Section A: 20 questions / Minimum points to activate the next session: 12

IF Points_Received => 12 THEN Show_section_B ELSE Grade E

Section B: 20 questions / Minimum points to activate the next session: 12

IF Points_Received => 24 THEN Show_section_C ELSE Grade D

Section C: 20 questions

FInal Grade = etc.

Do you know any solution or Moodle plugin to achieve such scenario in Moodle 3.3?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul K

Re: Quiz based students exams with individual path

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello. Could you not make three separate quizzes and make the second and third dependent on the results in the first and second?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Paul K -

Dear Mary,

thanks for your comment. Unfortunately not. I need to have only one instance of the quiz activity. Well, based on your post I assume that there is no, lets say "out of the box" solution to realize this scenario?

In reply to Paul K

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I agree with Mary. Three separate quizzes, called Section A, B & C, is the way to do this in Moodle.

With conditional availability rules to controll access, probably with some links in the overall feedback to make it easy for students to get from quiz to quiz. Then use the facilities of the gradebook to combine the separate grades into the final grade.

Of course, from the student point-of-view this needs to look and feel like a single activity. The fact that, in Moodle terms, this is implemented as three separate 'quizzes' is just an implementation detail. I don't see why that needs to be a problem.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Paul K -

Dear Tim,

Dear Mary,

I will make a try with the conditional activites and the three separate quiz activities. Thanks for your remark regarding the gradebook facilities. My goal is to use Moodle only for the online exam purposes. I need to export the final grades into another, external system, which means without going into the details, that the final grades should be stored in a form to identify, whether this is a partial, or final grade. The entire exam must be perceived as a single activity, without switching between more quiz instances.

I will make a try and then I will let you know.

Best regards

Pawel

In reply to Paul K

by Paul K -

Dear Tim,

basically you are absolutely right that this scenario can be done with the conditional activities. I have tested this with separate quiz activities and it will work. Nevertheless from the student point-of-view this is to complicated. Each quiz activity needs to be submitted and then depending on the results a link to the second quiz will appear or not. Furthermore, the link to another quiz activity can be only stored in the "Overall feedback" section, which means that all students who will use Moodle for the first time, could have some problems to fogure out, where to find it. I will look whether this switching between the quiz activities, could be done more smoothly .

Thank you for your support.

Best regards
Pawel
In reply to Paul K

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

the link to another quiz activity can be only stored in the "Overall feedback" section, which means that all students who will use Moodle for the first time, could have some problems to fogure out, where to find it.

Well, that is partly true, but if they do the first quiz and then go  back to the main course page, the appropriate quiz should be automatically opened up for them. Also, if you are using Moodle 3.4 and you have the quizzes one after the other in sequence, the next quiz they need to do should appear as the link on the right under their first quiz.