Stop sharing moodle resourcing(Video) from mobile app storage

Stop sharing moodle resourcing(Video) from mobile app storage

by Harshil Shah -
Number of replies: 6

Hello, I am using Moodle mobile app for video based resources. I am using video files in moodle and trying to access them using mobile app. I can access video using physical path of mobile storage. It allow user to share that file which is in mobile storage. How to stop sharing of video file from mobile storage.?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Harshil Shah

Re: Stop sharing moodle resourcing(Video) from mobile app storage

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

the Mobile app does not prevent to download the resources hosted on your server, the only way to prevent it is disabling Mobile access or using videos hosted on sites like Youtube or Vimeo.

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Harshil Shah -

Thank you for your reply. My need is access video in moodle mobile with out sharing it from the mobile device. If we host video on third party video hosting platform like youtube and vimeo. It will not work for offline mode. So is there any other solution?

In reply to Harshil Shah

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

the only way to make videos work in offline is by downloading them and storing them in the device. In Android the users have access to the app's folder, so there's no way to avoid them being able to access the video using the File System.

In reply to Dani Palou

by Harshil Shah -

Hi Dani,

Is there any way like YouTube Download features. Video can be accessed offline via mobile app only. User can not see file in App data folder. YouTube encrypt video file. Same way is it possible in moodle?

In reply to Harshil Shah

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

I don't know how YouTube works, but encrypting and decrypting files can be slow, specially if you have several files in the same view. YouTube allows playing 1 video at a time, but in Moodle you can have as many videos as you like in the same page. This could slow down the app a lot and will add complexity to our code, so I don't think we'll implement it.

If you're really interested in this you should create a custom app with this feature using our code as the base.

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Harshil Shah -

Thank you for your quick response. Do let me know if this feature developed by Moodle HQ in future.