Teaching with Moodle

Adding Group Rewards

Picture of John Doubleday
Adding Group Rewards

Hi All,

Next year hopefully my Automotive Studies course will includes more gaming. My large class will be grouped into 4 Teams of 5.  

One idea is:  At the end of class  I mark the best Team Tool Management.

Ideas on how to do this please. I envisage a Leader board that I add to in real time at the end of lesson.

Which would be  the best 'Activity' to add a point on a Team Leader board and for students to see this on the Classroom TV? ....Database?

Any ideas greatly appreciated. 

Average of ratings: -
Picture of AL Rachels
Re: Adding Group Rewards
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi John,

Easiest possibility I can think of is to use the Generico filter. It includes two different filter bundles for charts, pie and line. Probably would be easy to create a filter bundle for a bar chart. Doing it with a Generico filter would make it possible to include a chart just about anywhere you can use the editor. That means you could put a chart in a resource label, forum entry, topic description, description area of an assignment, etc..

Another possibility requiring a little more work to get it set up, would be to use the JSXGraph filter plugin.

I have used both filters at one time or another to put charts right into a topic description. Because this method would add to a "scroll of death" problem, I have even encapsulated charts, and other items such as videos, in another Generico filter toggle button, so the charts, videos, etc. are collapsed to just a button and hidden until needed.

Whatever type of chart created, it then becomes a simple matter of editing and adding/subtracting to the series data, to resize the chart.

Picture of Dave Emsley
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi John,
This sounds a great idea.  Are points awarded to individuals and then agregated to the team or are they solely team points?

Cheers
Dave

Picture of AL Rachels
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi Dave,

My thought was that the teacher would edit the chart as needed and increment the data, then the change to the chart  would show when the edit was finished.

As to the aggregation method, that would depend on how the teacher sets up the charts. Could use a single bar for the team or a stacked bar with each part for the individuals and the whole stack for the team. Would be a little trickier to set up and update.

I just now thought of another possibility...recently someone mentioned a new plugin for spreadsheets. Might be possible to use it, but it has been a while since I tried it out and don't really remember much about its capabilities, so not sure if it could show a chart.

Edit: By the way, just now checked and the latest Generico does include a bundle for bar charts so this is simple to do when using it. Just might want to "edit" the colors to make things stand out more.

Your Bar Graph AL looks to be a wonderful  image. I am trying to raise the profile of Technology subjects and this 'style' of Team work could be a great visual. 

And let Moodle Badges and the Free Levelup Module deal with individual visual progress and some catchy Team names, cool badges both visuals could go in the school newsletter on a regular basis. 

This is very helpful, thanks again. When set up and used a bit by the students I will send some images to  this discussion. 

Hi Dave,

I see 2 distinct areas for a score.

•  Team Area Scores: Where groups of students are given scores for.....what ever you want ie TOOL TIME Cleanup, quick team project etc. 
  •  Personal Scores: Quiz Scores, Badges and other personal challenges.  
I believe having visuals should help create a bit of competition and maybe a bit of a  motivator for students and their parents