General discussion

White paper: 1. identity and reputation

Picture of Doug Belshaw
White paper: 1. identity and reputation

Today, I began to flesh out the Identity and reputation part of the MoodleNet white paper. This section starts to outline how Project MoodleNet will differ from the major social networks, particularly around use of personal data, identity management, and decentralisation.

As part of this, I've added five recommendations, listed below:

• Recommendation #1: Project MoodleNet should at the very least allow users to create and manage multiple accounts. Serious thought should be given as to the possibility of allowing some interactions to be anonymous, or pseudo-anonymous. This will enable users to reflect different facets of their identity, allowing them to not only conform to how they currently are (and others see them) but grow, both professionally and personally.
  • Recommendation #2: Although easy to join and use, Project MoodleNet should be a robust, decentralised, federated system that does not have on a single point of failure. 
  • Recommendation #3: Project MoodleNet should put the user in control of all of her data. All data held about a user should be compliant with the terms of the GDPR and be removable from the system. Users should be given fine-grained controls over who can see personal data and information they have added.
  • Recommendation #4: Project MoodleNet should allow for digital credentials to be created, exchanged, and displayed. These should reflect the diverse and wide-ranging interests of users, and contribute to Moodle’s mission of empowering educators.
  • Recommendation #5: The aim should be for Project MoodleNet portfolios to become the default place for educators to tell the story of their professional lives.

Additional recommendations will feature at the bottom of upcoming sections. Please give your feedback either in this thread, or directly on the Google Doc: https://goo.gl/vwWRVD 

I'm particularly interested in whether this feels like the right approach and, if so, if there's a better way of explaining it? 

Picture of Ralf Hilgenstock
Re: White paper: 1. identity and reputation

Some more formal aspects:

Will it be possible to connect the account from a local Moodle system with MoodleNet account?
Can I connect my personal accounts from different Moodle sites to one MoodleNet account?

When I move from one institution to an other institution, can I cut the connection from old institution and connect with new one?
When I have a year old moodle.org account can I use it within MoodleNet and connect it with the Moodle sites where I teach?

Picture of Doug Belshaw
Re: White paper: 1. identity and reputation

Hi Ralf,

Welcome to the Project MoodleNet forum! Perhaps you could introduce yourselfsmile

Thanks for the questions, which I'll answer below:

1. Will it be possible to connect the account from a local Moodle system with MoodleNet account?

Yes, that's the plan. So Project MoodleNet will be separate to a Moodle learning platform installation. However, at some point after MVP we'll make it really straightforward to integrate the two. 

2. Can I connect my personal accounts from different Moodle sites to one MoodleNet account?

That sounds like something we'd definitely want to explore. 

3. When I move from one institution to an other institution, can I cut the connection from old institution and connect with new one?

Yes, that sounds like a logical extension of the above. To comply with GDPR we'd have to allow (and would want to allow) that to happen.

4. When I have a year old moodle.org account can I use it within MoodleNet and connect it with the Moodle sites where I teach?

The idea is to connect everything together. Right now, we expect to be using OpenID Connect for Project MoodleNet, which should make it easy to combine/connect all of your Moodle identities. What we don't want is confusion, so we'll be looking to make this as simple as possible. In the short term, we may keep the identities separate, but the longer-term plan is for you to just login using one account for everything Moodle.