Track session time out

Track session time out

by Samuel Than -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

I'm using Moodle 3.2.4, PHP 5.2.6.

I've been getting random "Your session timed out" while using Moodle. I'm not using any caching to db.

How do i go about tracking when a user time out ? Like are there any logs or tables i could check to troubleshoot when users get timed out ?

Thank you in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Samuel Than

Re: Track session time out

by Samuel Than -

Does anyone knows if intermittent internet issue will cause a login session timeout  ?

In reply to Samuel Than

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Network comes before application ...

so yes, intermittent network issue could cause all sorts of issues with Moodle ... including sessions.   Depending upon version of Moodle, how long the session time out is set (if default, think that's 240 seconds), using files for sessions or DB, and if using something of moodle that checks for an active session ... not one expired ... then yes.   Then there is also in the newer versions of Moodle task .. one of which is to check for stale sessions.

So what sort of intermittent network issue are we talking about?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Samuel Than -

Thanks Ken for the reply.

Moodle version 3.2.4+

Using File and Session Cache - Application and Session. 

Memcached Cache - Application (memcached server is same box as moodle) 

At the moment session handling is tick on the box to use database, timeout at 2 hours. I'm guessing this setting will overide the "Using File Cache" mentioned earlier.

Intermittent network = lost connection to the internet for a few seconds and then back online.

In reply to Samuel Than

by Ken Task -

Forum not really a place for networking issues but I guess in relationship to moodle ...

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Getting_started_with_the_web/How_the_Web_works

Don't mean to sound rude ... but what do you call a few seconds?

Are you asking a question about setup?

Does this sort of problem happen often?   One user, a few users, admin users only, or all users?  How are you hosted and where?  How many hops are you away from your own Moodle server? (traceroute)

So there's all sorts of factors ... as per the mozilla.org page breifly explains.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Samuel Than -

Understand this forum is not for networking issues. I'm just in the process of elimination to rule out what are the possibilities of Moodle session timeouts smile

In reply to Samuel Than

by Ken Task -

Wow!  Really?!!!

'possibilities' of intermittent network issues and how that affects Moodle.

Then guess you'll needed to set up for testing the possibilities of points of failure:

1. a standalone ... web/DB server/data on one box

2. Web/Data on one box, DB on dedicated DB server

3. Each (Web/Data/DB) on separate dedicated servers

a. Web/DB internal to private network, but Data in an Amazon/Google Bucket

b. Web internal, but DB @Amazon/Google, Data either internal or A/GB

then flip internal/externals above ... etc., etc. etc. etc.

Oh, yeah ... throw in the mixes above ... load balancers, DB replications, Data ... + failovers.

Don't forget platform ... all the above on Windows ... on Linux ... and just to be totally fair, on MacOSX.

I jest of course ;) , but ....

Ken