Huh? Where did the links go?

Huh? Where did the links go?

by Art Lader -
Number of replies: 28
Okay, this is just plain weird... In one of my courses, links to the resources in my "week zero" section have disappeared. The resources are still there, but the links to them have vanished.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Art Lader

Re: Huh? Where did the links go?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Lodge a ticket with your local Moodle support person, giving details .  smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Art Lader -
"your local Moodle support person": Well, I am feeling a little guilty about all the requests I am sending to the poor guy. blush
In reply to Art Lader

by Dixie Harrison -

Actually... something very similar.  One of my instructors added a resource and all the links disappeared.  Rather interesting and perplexing problem.  Never did solve the puzzle though - his resources were all uploaded files so I ended up creating a new course.  I ran a backup of the old course uploaded files and users and restored them to the new one, then recreated the resources.  Worked like a charm when it was finished but we still have no clue what happened or why.

In reply to Dixie Harrison

by Art Lader -
Now that i think of it, something similar happened once when I exceeded some sort of database limit in my gigantic German I course. Martin fixed it for me after I whined to him that I had hurt my Moodle. (We are hosted at Moodle.com and his tech support is nothing short of fanatical.)
In reply to Art Lader

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, that fix for this case is to go into the database (Admin -> Database), edit the "course" table can change the type of the "modinfo" field from "TEXT" to "LONGTEXT".  Then go and modify a resource slightly to make it all regenerate.

Large courses with lots of resources, especially lots of popup resources, may hit the limit and cause these kind of display problems.

However, I don't think this is the problem in Art's case this time.  One possibility is that there is a wierd character somewhere in one of his resources.

by Sean Keogh -
Martin!

You are a lifesaver.

My assistant was uploading some resources to our document repository, hosted in a moodle course, and came running to me in a panic just now, because all of the resource descriptions, label text, etc, had disappeared. This happened after a file upload, but before the resource was added.

I carried out your database mod as suggested above and everything reappeared.

Phew!

Further proof that this Moodle community is a wonderful resource itself!

This is a course with 18 topics, and (at the time of writing) 306 uploaded file resources, plus about 380 users.

Oxford Beardie

Re: All of my resource links disappeared

by John Gone -
Moodle version: 1.2 Development 2003120700

I'm building a course and currently have 10 topics, 12 Forums and 136 pop-up resources. I added a resource and all the resource links disappeared. This course will ultimately have around 300 pop-up resources.

->All of the resources still exist but the links aren't visible
->I can delete one link and links re-appear so 135 pop-ups seems to be the limit
->Adding a link to bring the total back to 136 makes them all disappear
->I've changed to "LONGTEXT" as suggested above but nojoy there.
->I've tried to modify info in a previously visible resource to force re-generation but nojoy.
->I've done a successful backup/restore but nojoy.
->I've spent some time with the MySQL documentation but...

I don't know what to change in MySQL to allow more pop-up resources. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Is it possible to have 300, or more, pop-up resources in one course or should I segment this course to avoid this issue?

Thanks for any help,
John
In reply to John Gone

by Art Lader -
Hi, John,

I had a similar problem once and "The Amazing Martin" figured out the problem for me. The two main problems were just as you suspect: The course was just too darned big and the pop-ups were resource-hogs. I'll bet splitting up the course will, indeed, solve your problem.

Best regards,
Art Lader
Aiken High School
In reply to Art Lader

by John Gone -
Hi Art,
Best of the holidays to you and yours.

I'd really like to keep al the links on the same page as it is a large collection of international weathercams broken down by region, this works perfectly. Each region contains a forum specific to that region. I'll re-think the layout though. Maybe it'll work better if I split them up. Maybe I'll be forced to.

Unfortunately since I posted my first inquiry above I believe I have completely destroyed my entire database for the site. I hope that's not the case as I've spent approximately 80 hours finding, pre-viewing, rating and entering them as resources. sad I'm optimistic that I'll recover them somehow owing to the wonders of technology smile I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

I'll try and figure out what happened and inform you of the outcome

John
In reply to John Gone

by Art Lader -
OMYGOD, John!

I am sure that you will be able to find your DB. I will be here thinking positive thoughts.

Maybe there is a DB pro out there who will lend a hand.

Good luck,
Art Lader
In reply to John Gone

by John Gone -
I'm pretty sure that some, or all, of this is recoverable. I was lucky to have done a backup of the weathercam course when I was anticipating splitting up the course into more manageable sizes. This backup is still on the server.
The courses appear to still be in the DB according to the respective creation dates.
 Now I just have to figure out the rest. I think I can, I think I can, I know I can smile
In reply to John Gone

by John Gone -
I've successfully restored the weathercam course from a backup. big grin cool

After poking around in the database I'm pretty sure I'm going to be regretting not taking the time to do regular backups of my site and my DB as I'm quite certain that I"ve wiped out the whole shebang. Ouch! All users and user data appears to be gone. I will be doing some learning before I mess around with this stuff again to be sure. Live and learn... smile
In reply to John Gone

by John Gone -
I've restored the weathercam site and broken it up into smaller components. I think this is a better structure after all. I'm just getting started and would like to make this the best resource for weather in the world smile  Site's at eyrespace.com/weather if you'd like to have a look and tell me what you think.
In reply to John Gone

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Great site John. The structure is indeed verry good. There's no need to put all of them in one course. Can I give the URL to a collegue of mine who is interested a lot in weather?

I have another nice weathercam from the Belgian coast with a lot of data and graphs for you: http://aanzee.be/ Enjoy

In reply to koen roggemans

by John Gone -
Thanks for the positive feedback Koen,

Thanks also for the link, that's a great resource, lots of info and an excellent view from that cam! I've titled your link The Belgian Coast and it's in the site now.

Yes, by all means, give it to everyone! I call the site International Weather and I've registered the site with Moodle also. I think many people have an interest in the weather and I want to build them the best weather site in the world.

Thanks again Koen
In reply to John Gone

by Ger Tielemans -
You did also choose rebuild the TABLE _course_sections in phpmyadmin I presume..
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by John Gone -
Of course not , I don't know how. I assume this would be a good idea?
In reply to John Gone

by Ger Tielemans -

I saw this in one of the threads and it worked for me...

Jeff Thomas - Thursday, 11 December 2003, 05:23 AM

"............I was getting the old dreaded (errno: 145) and when looking the _course_sections table in phpMyAdmin it showed it "in use".

I went to the SQL tab, and typed REPAIR TABLE _course_sections and it appeared to remove the corruption and got most of my data back smile..............." (snip)

And Then Martin wrote:

For future reference, phpmyadmin actually has REPAIR built-in ... just list the tables, then check the checkbox next to a table, and select "Repair" from the menu at the bottom.

(I am still wondering what it does..)

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by John Gone -
Thanks Ger, I did try the REPAIR TABLE _course_sections but it couldn't save itself from my tinkering, I think I destroyed that db unfortunately. I won't be messing with any db until I learn about them. One wrong move and POOF everything's gone! I still don't know how I ruined it.
Thanks again
In reply to John Gone

by Ger Tielemans -

Following a thread I saw this email again...

• The danger here is that you have to choose REPAIR from a drop-down-box, while  several positions higher in this same choicelist the option DELETE lives.

So....

• I select all tables in phpmyadmin
  • then click the drop down box, it opens up
  • THEN I LEAVE THE LIST AND AVOID TO MOVE WITH MY MOUSE OVER THIS DROPDOWN CHOICELIST!!!
  • I REENTER THE CHOICE LIST FROM BELOW
  • Then I select repair.
  • If I enter in the normal way the list, sooner or later I could accidentally click DELETE, and phpmyadmin does never ask: "Are you sure?"!!!

(A button for repair would be more secure)
In reply to John Gone

by John Gone -
I'm still wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to enable more than the 135 resource pop-ups per page that my site is limited to. I'm sure someone has more than 135 links on a page? Maybe not?
In reply to John Gone

by Martin Dougiamas -
There's no number limit, as such, but there is a bytesize limit in the tables for course->modinfo and course_sections->sequence ... increasing these to longtext should allow for a lot of items.  Using popups chews this space up faster than otherwise.

by John Gone -
Thanks Martin, I'd made that change at the original site db but it seemed to be ineffective. I'll try on the new site as the original has been destroyed by my tinkering.

by Art Lader -
In the end, the problem in Art's case almost always turns out to be Art. Sigh...

Best regards,
Art Lader
Aiken High School

by Robert Draper -
thanks for this - trouble is we can't find 'Database' under Admin. Using moodle 1.2.1 just now. Is there something we need to do to make it available?
In reply to Robert Draper

by Sean Keogh -
Yes, you need to download the database admin module from moodle.org (found here:  http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/moodle/moodle-1.2-mysql-admin.zip ) and unpack it into the moodle admin directory on your server...next time you visit Administration "Voila!"

Oxford Beardie
In reply to Sean Keogh

Nice!

by Amy Bellinger -

I've never seen MySQL built in like that. Very handy.

Compliments to the whole community. It's so easy to find things here.

In reply to Art Lader

by D.I. von Briesen -

I'm not sure if I should post this as a new thread or a reply- I'm having a similar problem- but seems different, as the course is quite small, and not used nearly as much by students or for content as my others. Just a simple place to upload code and such. You can view it as a guest at https://secure2.cpcc.edu/moodle/course/view.php?id=12

I tried to add a resource to course today, and after i submitted the resource, it took me back to the main page, and it simply wasn't there. I did this several times, in disbelief. I even tried with a quiz, a forum, etc... none showed up. Further testing showed that the problem exists in week 11 and beyond (out of 18 or so weeks) but not before, and that the things I added DO SHOW UP when viewed in their category (i.e. under Resources, or Quizzes, or Forums), and DO INCLUDE THEIR WEEK NUMBERS! I'm stymied. This is the first time I've seen this, and it's not a problem in my other courses - just that one.

Anybody got any ideas?
I know that we have just upgraded to 1.2, and it's running against mySQL on Apache on Linux. I'm waiting to hear from our admin more details. The problem doesn't seem to care about browsers, though I use Firefox and IE 6 on windows.

D.I. von Briesen