Edit question when the quiz is started

Edit question when the quiz is started

by chris Jangelov -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I did not put minus values on the "wrong" alternatives in my multiple choice questions. Can I do that without risking the data for all students that already have completed the quiz?

The system warns that questions can't be added or deleted without resetting data. So what I wonder is if the grade value can be added for those alternatives without risk.

Thanks in advance for your help.

/chris

Running: 3.3.2+ Build 20171013

Average of ratings: -
In reply to chris Jangelov

Re: Edit question when the quiz is started

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You are right to be careful when editing questions after they have been attempted.

However, this particular change is safe: editing the marks for each choice in a multiple choice quetstion.

After you have edited the question, you will need to go to Quiz admin -> Results -> Grades, and regrade the quiz, to upate the scores in all the existing quiz attempts.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by chris Jangelov -

Thank you very much. Change is made.

I guess that it is possible to make some other changes too without disturbing an ongoing course. Is there any documentation that digs into such possibilities, if there are some.'

It might seem odd to want to do that but in the context of practical teaching outside of formal education where grades and exams are crucial I think it would be a good thing. At leas for us.

Case: During a course a desicion is made that changes the correct answer to a question. I would like to either add an extra alternative to the question  (drag and drop) or change the label on the drop element.

The warning text says that I can't add or remove questions. Is editing inside possible?

/chris

In reply to chris Jangelov

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Moodle might be the most flexible LMS when it comes to making quiz question changes after a quiz has started.  As you are learning, some things are simple (like correcting a misspelled word.)

But one can even change the answer (for example, a multiple choice question) and then "Regrade".  This ability, and the way that Moodle has implemented it, is the very best of any major LMS (BCD).  Make sure to explore this feature! I have used this feature, along with making minor question changes, while a quiz is in progress.

No, you cannot remove questions from a quiz that has started.  The problem with doing this is the "logic" of how you would adjust grading for those quizzes already taken.  But try editing the question that you want to change as opposed to removing it.  Yes, this is somewhat dependent upon the type of question.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)