Here you can find the list of proposed new features and improvement that are currently reported in tracker. Some of them may be hard to understand if you are not familiar with the analytics API or may get too technical, please don't be scared. I will be commenting about individual issues to explain their purpose from a final user point of view.
Some examples from the list of MDL issues linked above:
- Add regressors to core machine learning backends
- Allow indicators to be configured
- Add Course metadata to support learning analytics
- Add Site metadata to support learning analytics
- Let models use different machine learning backends
- Allow model configurations to be imported and exported
- Support more social breadth levels than 2
- Make models smart enough to select the list of indicators automatically from the target's list of potential indicators
- Release built-in predictions models with trained models
- Expand machine learning backend API to support other models than binary classifiers
- Accept xAPI and Caliper statements into Moodle
- Identify data elements by privacy level and IEEE LOM
We know we need to improve support for rolling courses in Moodle in general. The API supports models that would work with rolling enrollment, but we don't have a model yet.
In your courses, do you have enrollment start and end dates of fixed length? Or do students have a relatively unlimited time in which to complete a course? If you have enrollment start and end dates, I think a model could be built fairly easily that works on a slight variation of the current Target. If you have flexible completion times, things get a bit trickier. You'll need a new Timesplitting Method that will run on a fixed schedule (e.g. every week) and will make predictions about "likelihood to complete" that include how long it has been since the student started working on the course. Again, the API has the elements to support this, but the model has not yet been written.
We are rolling out training in writing models, for those who have some PHP skill, and I'm actively trying to get more development in Moodle to help with model creation without requiring PHP, but resources are tight. If anyone out there is able to help develop such models, I'd be happy to work with you.