Adding user specific links to dashboard

Adding user specific links to dashboard

by Sreepathy T L -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

Configuration: Moodle 3.4 / PHP 7.1.11 X64/ Mysql 5.7.13 Win X64/ IIS Server/ Windows 2012 R2 Std

I am relatively new to moodle. I have recently installed and configured Moodle 3.4 with Moove theme. I want to add an HTML Block with the following options:

1. Blogs - Hyperlink to blog/index.php

2. New Blog post - Hyperlink to blog/edit.php?action=add

3. My Blog posts - Hyperlink to view all the blog entries made by the current user
ie, blog/index.php?userid=<USER ID FROM SESSION>

I could implement points 1 & 2 above. 

But how to add an option to select the course in the form for creating new blog post (No. 2 above)?

How to implement No. 3 above? I found after long searches that moodle does not allow to add custom links to left sidebar (containing Home, Dashboard, Calendar, My course). Hence I used HTML block instead.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sreepathy T L

Re: Adding user specific links to dashboard

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Howard Miller

by Sreepathy T L -

I am using Moodle 3.4. Plugin shows supported versions upto 3.3 only. Can I use this plugin in 3.4 version?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

More than likely, it just means that it's not been tested yet (as 3.4 is quite new). Chances are that it will work fine.

by Ian MacKinnon -

Hi

For No. 2 - If you knew the courses you wanted them to blog about you could just use the course id in your hyperlink i.e. xxx.com/blog/edit.php?action=add&courseid=3. I'm not aware of a way to allow users to select which course to blog about, unless you presented them with fixed options each taking them to writing a blog on specific courses.

For No 3 You could create a URL activity on Site Home, then apply settings:

General

External URL: xxx.com/blog/index.php

URL Variables

Type "userid"  into the box and choose "id" from the drop-down under User.

(This will add the following to the URL you have added: xxx.com/blog/index.php?userid=x)

Common module settings

Availability: Hidden from students

To make the URL hidden but still available, you'll need to enable Stealth activities in Site Admin>Advanced features. 

Then you can click the gear icon next to the URL activity on Site Home and choose "make available".

You can then copy the link to the URL activity and use that in a HTML block on your Dashboard.