Required settings for large access of Moodle

Required settings for large access of Moodle

by Abu Ali -
Number of replies: 2

Dear Moodle experts,

We are using moodle 3.4 and integrated with turnitin for the access of assignment. We have around 10,000 students and we are using dedicated server from bluehost with premium plan. Now i tested it with jmeter with 1000 users and it shows me database is not available.  I checked the limit of mysql and bydefault it was 150. Now I changed it to 5000 sessions and it did not show any error related to database.

Now my question is that please tell me which  other important settings need to be done for large number of students. If you have any document reference plz provide me. Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Abu Ali

Re: Required settings for large access of Moodle

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Every setup is different so am not sure anyone can give you the settings you might need with your system.  Much depends on usage and what's being used in the Moodle.  

However, suggest installing mysqltuner and run it from the web server.   It will offer 'suggestions' as to what tweaks to make to the DB server config.

One other setting that I've eventually had to set was max_allowed_packet (restoring/backup of courses) so here's info: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/packet-too-large.html

Assumes you are running MySQL ... and reference does point to a 5.5 version of MySQL but have had to do the same on setups using higher version/different SQL based DB servers.

You've shared numbers of users, but is this moodle on a single server?   Would imagine with those numbers you'd have a dedicated DB server ... and you might look into other dedicated servers like memcached.  

How about where moodledata resides?   Does filedir of moodledata have sufficient space?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Re: Required settings for large access of Moodle

by Abu Ali -

Thanks Ken Task,

Your suggesions are more valuable for me.