Installing and upgrading help

Assignment issues upgrading from Moodle 3.1 to 3.3

Picture of Timothy Byers
Assignment issues upgrading from Moodle 3.1 to 3.3

I recently upgraded from Moodle 3.1 to 3.3 and have found several issues with the assignments. The first is that if a student submits a pdf that he has edited, it will display the original pdf but nothing the student added.  I was able to create a workaround for this by having the students print the finished document as a pdf however, I did not have to do this with Moodle 3.1. The second issue involves uploading multiple file types. In Moodle 3.1 I was able to have students upload a recognized file format (pdf, doc, docx, ppt, etc. ) as well as an unrecognized file type and it would display the recognized file type as a pdf for annotation and allow me to download and open the unrecognized file type. However, with the upgrade, I can see both submitted files but it only displays a white page where I would annotate the pdf.

Is anyone else having issues with assignments? 

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Emma Richardson
Re: Assignment issues upgrading from Moodle 3.1 to 3.3
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

Have you set up unoconv?  That is needed to convert the documents for annotation.  Also, how is the student editing the pdf?  This has never been a core feature in moodle so not sure how they are doing that?

Picture of Timothy Byers

Yes, I did. I installed it last night. Word documents and pdfs do display. However, if there is an unrecognized file type or if the students don't print the pdf before submitting, they don't display anything. Thanks for your reply.

What format are the files in?  Unoconv handles most of the common ones - there is also a Google converter you can enable too now.  If it is some proprietary format, I am surprised that they are able to upload it at all...

Picture of Timothy Byers

I am currently having students upload both a Cisco packet tracer file (.pkt) and their completed lab in pdf format. In Moodle 3.1 the pdf would display in the window for grading and I would download and open the .pkt file with packet tracer to grade that portion. Since I upgraded to 3.3 previously graded activities still display correctly, however, new submissions show only a blank screen. I can still download and display both file types but the pdf will not show in the grading window. In previous versions of Moodle, there were two different windows for file submissions. One for pdfs and one for other file types. With 3.1 you uploaded all files to the same place and it worked fine. However, with 3.3 I am having problems. 

The other problem I am having with the .pdf's is that students are entering text and drawings on .pdf's then saving them prior to submission. The original .pdf displays in the grading window but not any of the student's text or drawings. The workaround for this is to have the students print their submissions as a pdf file, then submit them. Then they display fine. This was the way that I had to have students submit work prior to upgrading to Moodle 3.1. Then, without doing anything other than upgrading, the .pdf and student added information displayed fine.

I am sure that it is probably just a setting someplace, but I am stumped as to where it is.

Thanks for your help.

I would guess that maybe you were using a plugin to achieve that and that it was either not included in the upgrade or is not compatible.