Restrict students from updating glossary

Re: Restrict students from updating glossary

por Joseph Rézeau -
Número de respuestas: 0
Imagen de Core developers Imagen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imagen de Plugin developers Imagen de Testers Imagen de Translators

I'm afraid there is some confusion pensativo in this discussion as regards the "capability" of students to add entries to a Glossary in Moodle. Allow me to make things clearer.

1. Inna Abcid's original question was  "Is it possible to restrict to add/modify functionality only to teachers?"
    1. Peter Ruthven-Stuart correctly answered by pointing to the relevant setting in the Glossary edit page
    2. Please note that the original question was posted in 2005, so referring to a now obsolete version of Moodle.
    3. Version 1.7 of Moodle introduced the new "roles & capabilities" feature. The capability for a student to "add a new entry" (and subsequently Edit it) is set to "Allow" by default when teacher creates a new Glossary. A person with the Teacher role can set that capability to "Prevent" when creating the Glossary (in the "Override permissions" tab of Glossary editing).
    4. Now, if students have been given the "capacity" to add new entries to a Glossary, teachers can retain the right to "moderate" those entries, i.e. new entries created by students can either a) automatically appear in the Glossary for all to see or b) need to be reviewed/approved by a teacher before appearing there. That's the "Approved by default' settings tab.
  2. Then, on 5 November 2010, we had a related but different question by Catherine Berce - "Is it possible for the moderator to receive an email notifying him/her that a glossary entry needs to be reviewed?"
    1. To which I replied that that feature does not exist. The only way for teachers to know that a certain Glossary's entries are requiring approval is to log in to their moodle course and go to that Glossary and approve pending entries.
  3. Today, Sunday, 22 January 2012, Dan O'Reilly revived that old discussion, and then ola feurst's reply prompted me to the current clarification. So, here we go.
    1. Dan's solution explains the new way to remove the "Add an entry" capability from students - valid in moodle 2 versions.
    2. @Ola: Moodle 1.8 is obsolete now and no longer maintained. If you are currently using 1.9, then my explanations in § 2.3 and 2.4 above apply.

Joseph