Adding/removing topics

Adding/removing topics

by Ivica Matotek -
Number of replies: 13
Picture of Testers

Hi!

In 3.3 Moodle, there is no more "-" sign to remove topics at the bottom of the page. Does anybody know how can I delete topics? I used Orphan topics quite often I find it very useful. For instance, if I hide topics, and students can't see it, but he/she can see on Course overview block that he/she has 60% work done, because Moodle calculate also hidden topics. But with Orphan topics that was not the case. So, does anybody knows how get to orphan topics again.

Thank you.

Ivica

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ivica Matotek

Re: Adding/removing topics

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The option to delete a topic is in the edit drop down for the individual topics. 

Attachment Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 14.04.56.png
In reply to Howard Miller

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you are used to using orphaned topics, then please read the documentation on Stealth activities which is the New, Improved orphaned topics smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jim Judges -

Hi Mary,

I wonder if you still think this is an improvement? I like the idea of the stealth activity but not at the expense of easily controlling the number of sections. It seems that we can now add as many sections as we like but can only remove these sections one at a time! Given a choice I would switch back to orphaned sections until this problem is resolved.

There is a tracker related to this issue:

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-59514

Thanks,

Jim

In reply to Jim Judges

by Robin Latham -

I was about to post this same thing, Jim!!!!  Why can we no longer tell the "edit settings" area how many sections to show??????

I like to do my courses in units.  Some have 4 units and some have 10.  Having to delete sections one at a time to clear up clutter is so cumbersome.  

Is it possible to just add that feature back into the Edit Settings area?  Please!!!!

Robin

In reply to Howard Miller

by Jamie Tinley -

Although this thread is old anyone reading the last post with my users issue will appreciate my post.

Yes, it's easy to delete a single topic, but I have a teacher who somehow added 3000 topics!!!  yes, 3000. Never underestimate the power of potential opportunity at the crossroads of reality.  Deleting them one by one is not an option (although If I made her do this I imagine she would never make that mistake again smile )  But I'm a kind admin - so they only solution I can imagine for now is to import her used topics to a new course and import her students and then delete the offending course.  Unless Mary or Howard you have a better idea.  

Temporary solution (thanks for link Jim) is add plugin here for collapsible topics (check if you already installed it which I forgot I had done already), edit your settings for the offending course to use the format collapsible topics, edit the number of topics, then reset the course to the format of your choice.

Then vote here for bulk delete topics (58 and counting . . . )

In reply to Jamie Tinley

by Jamie Tinley -

Anyone else find that their version of the plugin for collapsible topics was missing the word numsections as described in the tracker?  I tried uninstalling and re-installing the plugin for collapsible topics without success (Moodel version 3.4.3 so I likely have to update my moodle for it to work too maybe or purge before re-installing?)  and remind your users that they will have to go to settings and re-select collapsible topics to get that format back smile

In reply to Jamie Tinley

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

So, this instructor wants to go from 3000 topics down to how many?

I suggest that this instructor consider a more reasonable number, like 20 or so.  Then, start a course from scratch and redo these topics, resources, and activities.

Make this instructor do the work, of course.  They can decide if they want to manually delete topics or start from scratch.  This will be important "learning" for the instructor.

Maybe others will have better ideas and suggestions than mine.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Jamie Tinley -

HI Rick,

I knew I remembered you from somewhere.  You helped me with making my own theme and I used your tutorial I think.  Thanks for that.

Brace yourself: she only needs 7 topics of the 3000.  so that means only deleting 2993 topics.  Even at 30 sec each that will be 25 hours straight with no breaks or carpel tunnel issues.  I'm not sure why my collapsed topics does not show the numsections as others have described. I tried uninstalling and re-installing it.

In reply to Jamie Tinley

by Rick Jerz -

Well, Jamie, I am glad that I was able to help you in the past.

For 7 topics, isn't it faster to recreate them from scratch, picking only those 7 topics?  Even if it takes 15 minutes to recreate the activities and resources for each topic, 15*7 < 25 hours.

I have been running Collapsed Topics for as long as I can remember, like when Moodle 2.0 was released.  It works.  I use it in my Moodle 3.6 along with the Boost theme.  Maybe a screenshot of what you currently have, and then a mock-up of what you desire, would be useful?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Jamie Tinley -

True Rick,

I would not really make her delete all 2993 topics.  I'm with you on her recreating the course but for now my solution is this 7 step process I sent her. Before you read that though, Jim Judges fastest solution at tracker here is simply type the number 7 in her case where he says 

The latest versions of this plugin for 3.4 and 3.5 have put back the option to control the number of sections ('numsections') in the usual place in course settings

Well I don't see it in my settings even after uninstalling and reinstalling this plugin.  (v 3.4)

In liu of that, here's my easiest solution to help her for now:

1. I hide the original course
2. I create a new course called same with name copy on front hide it too.
3. She imports her 7 topics to it  
4. She enrolls all names from original course into new course
5. She create new BBC Ultra (specific to our Moodle for conferencing with kids)
6. I un-hide new course and rename original to say OLD and take off the word copy on new one.
7. in a month or so I delete the original course when she is sure she has everything.

My time in this is about 5 min but hers be a bit more and may confuse students for a bit. 
Jim's solution is more elegant and fastest and would really benefit me for the inevitable next teacher who does this. Any idea why I don't see num sections "in the usual place". I attached a screenshot of my entire settings for collapsible topics.
Thanks.

Attachment Issue 3000 topics settings in collapsible topics format.png
In reply to Jamie Tinley

by Rick Jerz -

Seems like you and your instructor have a good solution.

I am attaching a screenshot of my relevant Collapsed Topics settings.  It is odd that your screenshot doesn't show "Number of Sections" like mine.  Maybe it has something to do with your theme.

Attachment collapsed.jpg
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Jamie Tinley -

My instructor persevered and found after trying all themes and formats that the button format allowed her to set the number of topics back to 7.  Whew, time saved for everyone in case you are someone with this issue try button format to edit the number of sections when collapsed topics is not letting you see it.