Managing courses with no set start date (open enrollment)

Managing courses with no set start date (open enrollment)

by Robert Felix -
Number of replies: 2

I'm trying to figure out how to set up a course so that students can enroll and start at any time, with a new teaching session or topic becoming available automatically once a week. I see how I can set this up for groups with a set starting date, but since students can start at any time, they will all be on different schedules. I'm using version 2.8.1 while preparing for version 3.x.  Are there more options for this kind of setup in version 3?

Thanks in advance!
- Robert

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Felix

Re: Managing courses with no set start date (open enrollment)

by S. kavita -
Picture of Testers

Hi,

I think you can achieve this by enabling the feature "Restrict Access". You will find this feature under Site administration > Advance Features - "Enable restrict access".

After enabling this feature you can restrict a particular topic based on Previous topic activities/ resource grade or completion.

Like make the first topic enabled by default when user enrolled in a course whenever then set other topics restricted based on first activities Grades criteria.

So it will not depend on the time of enrollment of users.

Hope this will help

In reply to S. kavita

Re: Managing courses with no set start date (open enrollment)

by Robert Felix -

Thanks for the suggestion! I have been looking at the options for this in version 2.9 and I see that I can make new topics available upon completion of previous activities, and that may have to do for now. I have a teacher however who would like new topics to become automatically available weekly. We can do this for courses with set dates, but for his course, students will be able to enroll and begin the course at any time. Ideally we would like to set up a course in weekly format, but instead of fixed dates that apply to everyone, have the course start date for each student be based on their enrollment date or first access date or something like that. So for example, students would all begin the course with topic one regardless of when they enroll, and then the next topic would become available to them the following week, with no other requirements. I'm hoping that version 3.4 would support this.

Any additional suggestions welcome!

Thanks again,
Robert