General help

How do I designate a user as a teacher

Picture of Skeeter Harris
How do I designate a user as a teacher

I can create classes, I can assign students to a class and even allow students in my 3.3 moodle to self register but what I don't see covered anywhere is what designates a user as a teacher?  Did I overlook something in your materials or is this assumed?  I can add users and designate passwords, etc but what makes a user a teach verse just a student?  I have looked at the course level, the category level but it's escaping me on how to I make a user a teacher of a particular course or group of courses?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of K Scott Huntley
Re: How do I designate a user as a teacher

Hi,

A Teacher is just another role in Moodle. 

I'm going to assume you manually enrolled students based on the wording of your question.

You can do this at the Course level. Click on Course Administration > Enrolled Users. This should show you the students you already enrolled in the course. If you click just to the right of "Student" in the Roles column (don't click the X), you'll see a little pop-up where you can assign more roles. If your teacher is already enrolled, add the Teacher role and then click the X to remove the student role.

if your teacher isn't enrolled, hit the "Enrol Users" button, change the Role at the top of the pop-up from Student to Teacher, find your teacher and enrol them in the course.

Picture of Skeeter Harris
Re: How do I designate a user as a teacher

Hey Scott - Never mind - what I was missing is that I need to go into the class, then go to the cog wheel, then go into more, then I can enroll a teacher as a student, add the role teacher, and then remove them as a student.  - oh boy!  

So much to learn here!  

Hi Scott,

I am running Moodle cloud so I do not and logged in as administrator. I did create the classes and in all cases I logged in then as a student and self enrolled into a class.  My examples are student1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively.  All of this was done using the admin account when I signed up for model cloud. 

I'm going to attach screen shots of my administration pages but no where do I see Course Administration>Enrolled Users so I can't seem to find where to assign this role.  When I go under courses to manage courses and categories I can see a drop down next to each category for assign role,  When I select that I can assign only manager or course creator to the individual category.  While I follow I should be able to go to a course and show all enrolled students I can't seem to find that

Thank you for your help!

anywhere.