General help

Assign Students or groups to Teacher

Picture of Frank Troglauer
Assign Students or groups to Teacher

We are interested in assigning students, and or groups, to a teacher so that teachers can only see those students and reports for those students. Is there currently any way to do this in Moodle? 

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Mihir J
Re: Assign Students or groups to Teacher

I am also interested in similar set up.

Did you get any idea or way to do it?

thanks!

Picture of Frank Troglauer

Not yet. Currently thinking about making a plugin that will have the functionality desired and store the relationship in a separate database

Picture of V Martin

Folks,

I know this is an old thread, but I too would like to be able to assign students to a teacher as opposed to a teacher per course. I'll keep looking for a way to do this, if I find an answer, I'll post it here. Hoping however, that responding to this old thread will awaken it and someone would already have the answer.

I'm running version 3.5.2

Thanks all,

Picture of Melanie Scott
Particularly helpful Moodlers

You might have to make a copy of teacher role and modify permissions a bit to limit who they can see (or modify non-editing teacher to editing options)...but the long and short is that you can create groups, force separate groups (I don't usually force, but you can--only they HAVE to be in a group to be able to do anything with it forced), add students and specialized teacher roles to the groups and it is done. 

Picture of Andrew Nicols
Core developersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

This is very easy.

You need to put the teachers into the same group as the students. You also need to put the course, or the relevant modules, into separate groups mode, and finally you need to ensure that the teachers do not have the moodle/site:accessallgroups capability.

Since MDL-55981 in Moodle 3.2, new installs only grant that capability to editing teachers and do not grant it to non-editing teachers. Prior to 3.2, all types of teacher had this capability.

Andrew

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Thanks all for your answers - just moving this to the General help forum as it's not really a General developer issue.