General developer forum

Moodle development

Picture of linu ztu
Moodle development

what kind of module should I develop to achieve constructivist learning environment in this LMS?? Moodle is already contained many features to achieve constructivism..but I have to develop a new module..pls help  

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Marcus Green
Re: Moodle development
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Something that allows peer review.... students marking each others work.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Dave Emsley
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Workshop module allows this.

Picture of Marcus Green

I should have added the term "fairly easy to use" to my description.

Picture of Richard Oelmann

Surely 'constructivist' is a whole philosophy of learning and one which Moodle as a while is built around. It's not as simple as 'build a constructivist module'

What do you want the students to actually do? What do you want them to do that is not already catered for in Moodle... ?

Constructivist learning isnt about the tools per se, but about how they are used - some (like Workshop already mentioned, or forums, or chat) make it easier, but even lightbox galleries which allow comments, glossaries and databases that already allow students to create things together facilitate constructivist learning.

So, decide what you want the students to DO, then see if that feature already exists - it maybe that your new module would be a reworking or redevelopment of an existing feature, doing it better, rather than a totally new concept.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of linu ztu

sir, I am doing my final year research with the topic"constructivist learning environment for undergraduates using Moodle".According to my understanding I think those features are related with social constructivism which I have seen from literature. Our supervisor told me to do my own development to achieve constructivists(I think cognitive) concept rather than creating a course using existing modules.But I also think the existing features are better enough to the point.Anyway he need do a new development.so I have no idea how to come up with a new thing because most of the thing are already exists as pluginssad  sad

Picture of Richard Oelmann

I suspect then that this is a subject to take back to your tutor:

Show him/her the research you have done into what 'constructivist' means, demonstrate your understanding of how that is already addressed with existing plugins (including existing core features) and ask for advice on what exactly the requirements for your work are - I believe though that you really need to be speaking to your tutor about this, we could possibly make suggestions (such as Marcus' above), but it sounds like you need to work with your tutor's understanding of what the expectations actually are.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
Picture of Richard Jones
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Is this a student project or something else?  What are your strengths in programming?  

There are quite a few starter templates available on github for different kinds of project.

Picture of linu ztu

yes sir i'm a student.this is for my final year research.

Picture of Marcus Green

You might consider adding a feature to an existing plugin as creating an entirely new one is a very significant task.

Just wondering . . .
Particularly helpful Moodlers
We often get asked this question linu. Some suggestions:

1. Fix marginalia for Moodle 3.4.  http://webmarginalia.net/
  2. Take an existing module and enhance it to improve collaboiration
    1. Inline editing for forums https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-33692 This will immediatley raise the level of forum replies since you can see what you are actually replying to at a thread level.
    2. Improve collaborative file sharing.  eg List all attached files in a forum.  https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-27062

Just three ideas!!

-Derek