Outgoing Mail Configuration

Outgoing Mail Configuration

by Pranay Kumar -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

I am running Moodle 3.2.1. I was trying to configure the outgoing email so when an user request for reset password the email is sent to them. I have the configuration correct under Server->Email->Outgoing configuration.

When I try to reset the password. I get the following message without any errors.

"If you supplied a correct username or email address then an email should have been sent to you.

It contains easy instructions to confirm and complete this password change. If you continue to have difficulty, please contact the site administrator."

Any idea what would be causing this?

Thanks,

Kumar

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pranay Kumar

Re: Outgoing Mail Configuration

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

The reset password page, login/forgot_password.php, allows users to look up their user name or email address and then emails a link to that user with instructions for changing their password.

That message you're seeing, "If you supplied a correct username or email address...", is exactly what should appear. The question is: are your users getting the email message containing the instructions?

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Pranay Kumar -

Hi Leon,

The users are not getting the email, so I was wondering what is going on. Infact I was even check the SPAM or JUNK folder just in case it sent it there, but no luck. Any idea?

Thanks,

Kumar

In reply to Pranay Kumar

by Leon Stringer -

So you have configured an email server in Outgoing mail configuration? And is this an email server you or your organisation manages? If so can you check the logs of the email server and see what's happening to the email sent by the Moodle server?

If you've configured Moodle to send via an email server like this and Moodle's not showing any error then the email should be successfully transferred to that email server. You then need to find out what the email server is doing. There may be some policy in place restricting the mail Moodle is sending e.g. it may not allow email from the Moodle server or the no-reply address may need to be in a specific domain.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Pranay Kumar -

No we don't manage the email server. I believe its hosted on go daddy. Should I be calling go daddy to check the logs? Can I put a gmail SMTP server information?

In reply to Pranay Kumar

by Leon Stringer -

If you're able to install plugins on your Moodle site you could try installing Moodle eMail Test. You can then use this to send a test email and get a copy of the communication between the Moodle server and the email server (the SMTP dialogue). That may shed light on what the problem is. But if the test email is transferred successfully you can then send this SMTP dialogue to Go Daddy's support to help them investigate. Are you using the Go Daddy email server for any other email? I ask because if that's not the case the issue could be that the SPF record for the domain you're sending from doesn't include the Go Daddy server.