Sending Message to All Students - Can't use Rich Text / HTML anymore?

Sending Message to All Students - Can't use Rich Text / HTML anymore?

by Ludovic Fourrage -
Number of replies: 6

Hello in Moodle 3.3.2 the feature allowing a teacher to send messages to selected course participants (Using the participant list, then the bulk action "send a message") was bringing up the traditional HTML text editor to compose the message. It was very helpful to produce engaging messages.

After upgrading to Moodle 3.4 this feature has been replaced by a simple and plain text editor, without the ability to add rich text or HTML format.

Is there a way to bring back the rich text editor available in Moodle 3.3.2 in this bulk "send message" feature?

Thanks! Ludo.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ludovic Fourrage

Re: Sending Message to All Students - Can't use Rich Text / HTML anymore?

by Peter Parise -

I agree with you Ludovic. The rich text editor makes the teachers messages stand out by including images in the communication. I hope there is a workaround for this.

Peter

by Celine Armenta -

Hello!

I totally agree with you, Ludo. 

Is there a way to fix it? I really miss it

Thanks!

by James Steerpike -

Using 3.5 I can use bold or italics in messages to students by using html tags. It is a bit of a kludge but you would use <b> bold </> or <i> italics </i> in your message to highlight the words between the tags.

I use a careware html editor ( free to use) called Arachnophilia. It will put in all the tags for you and do some other neat tricks - - like take tabbed columns and convert it into a html table using a wizard.

In reply to James Steerpike

by Peter Parise -

I discovered that <a href="http://desiredwebpage.com">here</a> works in messaging. Having links in my message is vital for getting students back into Moodle. I guess 3.4  onward it's back to the old school in terms of HTML coding.

by Meindert Jorna -

Did a solution come up in the meantime? Still missing the rich text editor option in messaging.