Installing and upgrading help

Installing LaTeX

Picture of Михаил Волобой
Installing LaTeX

Hello everyone! 

I really need LaTeX on my Moodle-site, but my hosting provider says that they can't use command line for installing something. That's why I can't install TeXlive like some people says.

Of course I know, that I am allowed to use mimeTeX and MathJax, but if you know some way to install LaTeX-distribution directly into server (maybe you know where to find compiled, ready to use, ready to load to server and work - binaries), please, let me know about it.

Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ken Task
Re: Installing LaTeX
Particularly helpful Moodlers

There's some missing information in your question ...

hosting provider 'can't' ... as in prohibited from ... or don't know how?

As all operating systems are not exactly alike (understatement) they do have something in common ... applications can be installed by either acquiring the source code and compiling **on the machine** or using 'package manager' to install the 'pre-compiled' application.  By far, the package manager route is 'best' in this case, me thinks.

Even if someone responded to this post with a how 2 you'd still need access where you host to be able to attempt either and it doesn't sound like you have that level of access.

Where you host and what option you choose for hosting Moodle makes a difference for all the things a full featured Moodle needs (that's outside of Moodle code/DB).

Maybe your hosting provider and upgrade your hosting option to something where they 'can' or will be allowed (for a fee) to install what you need.

Sounds like you are on a shared host. sad

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Михаил Волобой

Yes, my hosting provider can't do it. Here is a translation of message from Support, I asked them to do something like this https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=326866: "Unfortunately, we do not have the opportunity to use the package manager to install the software, we all put our hands on it, either as if I had precompiled binaries, or we collect from the source code."

I have all needed access to my host: File manager, FTP-access, MySQL databases, DNS-settings, CronTab and some other things.

The problem is - I can't use package manager to install the software". That's why I am searching other solution of installing LaTeX.

So, Ken, do you have any good ideas?

Thank you.

Picture of Ken Task

The forum to which linked above clearly shows a yum ... yellow dog package manager.... command from a sudo ssh session.    None of the access you have listed above is ssh shell into the server and thus also no sudo.

Even if one compiled LaTex on Mac or on Windows or on a Ubuntu (other Linux) laptop, if you were successfull in doing that, those 'binaries' **can't** be copied to a Linux web host that runs CentOS, or Debian, etc.. LaTex is not a single exec file but includes libraries etc. that has to be installed in locations of your server and linked.   You have no access to those areas.

Am somewhat puzzled by your hosting provider saying they can't.    Sounds like you need to move to a hosting provider that can.

So ... bottom line ... no I have no idea of how you will be able to install software.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Ken Task

Don't know that you could use any online LaTex compiler or not with Moodle.   Moodle has a setting for the path to latex/textlive which can only take true operating system paths ... like /usr/bin/latex - in other words latex has to be installed on the server.

But, you might be able to use one you find below via URL or other.   No here is no plugin of which I am aware that is for LaTex specific.   However, search the Moodle plugins site.

https://moodle.org/plugins/

Google search for online LaTex ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=compile+LaTex+online

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)