A trouble occurs after I upgraded my site from 3.3 to 3.4

A trouble occurs after I upgraded my site from 3.3 to 3.4

by Alexander Kuo -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

My site(3.3) worked well and I am happy with its performance. Unfortunately, the trouble came after I upgraded it from v.3.3 to v.3.4 two days ago. Only one account logged into it, but he got an error message "ERR_EMPTY_MESSAGE." Pressing "UNLOAD" button can't solve it. I ever tried to flush DNS. At the beginning, it worked fine, but it failed again after a while. Any suggestion?

Moodle version: 3.4+ 
Host: GoDaddy
PHP Version: 7.1

Alexander, Kuo

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alexander Kuo

Re: A trouble occurs after I upgraded my site from 3.3 to 3.4

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I have no clue, but I do wonder how you upgraded?  Do you have a GoDaddy VPS?  Do you use many add-ins?

Consider installing an experimental Moodle from scratch, and see what happens.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Alexander Kuo -

Thanks for your suggestion.

My Moodle site is based on a shared hosting of GoDaddy, so I can't view the error_log message of Apache.

On a GoDaddy shared host, I have successfully upgraded my Moodle to a newer version many times. Due to these successful experiences, I didn't backup Moodle database this time. And it hurt me!

In reply to Alexander Kuo

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

A couple things...

1) The best rule is "backup before upgrading." Always.

2) Always read the requirements of moodle before upgrading.

Relative to these two points...

1) When upgrading to 3.4, it might be that it never really happened because your new moodle didn't pass the built in checks.  Did you ever get to the point "Updating the Database" of the new install?  If not, you might be able to reinstall Moodle 3.3 and your database and moodledata might be fine.  Before doing anything, backup both your MySQL database and your moodledata folder.

2) Moodle 3.4 requires php 7.  You might still have php 5.x on your shared hosting plan.  Also, Moodle 3.4 has some database requirements that a Godaddy hosted server typically does not support.  You might need a VPS.