General help

Students can't post to forum

Picture of Fernando Marques
Students can't post to forum

Hello,

I'm using moodle 3.3.2 and I added an announcement forum to the homepage.

How can I allow students to reply to this forum? As an admin I see the link to reply, but as a student I can only view the topics.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Helen Foster
Re: Students can't post to forum
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTestersTranslators

Hello,

You're not the first person to ask this question! smile Please see 'Why are students unable to post in the forum?' in the Forum FAQ.

Hi Helen,

But isn't there a workaround to allow students to reply to the announcements forum in the frontpage? It's just because this kind of forum is the only one that shows the latest posts in the frontpage, not just a link to the forum (or am I wrong?).

Picture of Helen Foster
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTestersTranslators

Yes, you could allow students to reply to the announcements forum by giving the role of authenticated user on the front page the permission to reply to announcements.

Hi Helen,

That seems to be perfect, but I having trouble finding that screen in order to make the change. Can you please guide me? (Moodle 3.3.2)

Thank you!

Picture of Helen Foster

It is indeed not so easy to find the permissions page. wink

If you're using the Clean theme:

1. Click 'Site announcements' in the Navigation block
  2. On the Site announcements page, click Permissions in the Administration block.

If you're using the Boost theme:

1. For the Site announcements click 'Add a new topic' or 'Discuss this topic'
  2. On the next page click Permissions in the Gear menu (top right).

Thanks, found it!

But changing the permissions, still cant reply to the news forum on the homepage logged in as a student...

I feel I'm close, but it's not working yet. Thank you so far for your help.

Picture of Helen Foster

Hi Fernando,

I just tried logging in to the Moodle Sandbox demo site as an admin, editing the front page settings to make the Announcements forum display, adding an announcement post and changing the permissions to allow the role of authenticated user on the front page to reply to announcements.

I then logged out and logged in as a student and found that I could reply to the announcement post.

Maybe you'd like to try the same, and whilst doing so, have a think about what might be different on your site? Have you maybe changed the default frontpage role, or customised the role of authenticated user on the front page?

Hi,

It finally worked. I was missing one setting in the forum settings: Group Mode: Visible Groups.

Now it works fine.

Thank you all for your help!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Helen Foster
Re: Students can't post to forum [Solved]

Fernando, good to hear that you've got things working. Thanks for posting to let us know. smile

Picture of S. kavita
Particularly helpful MoodlersTesters

Hi,

After these settings you will find a link on the Announcement "Discuss this topic", when as an Authenticated user you click on this link "Discuss this topic", you will be redirected to the screen where you will find Reply link with the Announcement.

Picture of Dave Emsley
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Rather than changing the permissions on the news forum delete it and replace it with a "normal" forum.

Seems a lot easier than messing about with the permissions to me.

HTH

Dave

Dave,

Yes you are quite right, but the normal forum don't seem to have the nice "look" that the news forum, I mean, it's just a button to the forum, not a list of the latest topics on that forum... Or is there a way to show the latest topics of a normal forum in the homepage?