Installing and upgrading help

Error 500 on loading "style.php" during plugin installation

Picture of Ludovic Fourrage
Error 500 on loading "style.php" during plugin installation

Hello everyone, I have manually installed Moodle 3.4 onto a windows server 2016, IIS, PHP 7.1 and SQL Server 2016 machine.

Everything seems to be working ok except when I need to upload new plugins. During this process the IIS server is throwing an error 500 when loading the theme, as shown in the attachment. Everything else is loading fine, only this call for the theme is failing. From that moment the theme won't load at all on any page, until I restart IIS.

It's easy to reproduce: install a plugin, and loading the theme generate an error 500.

Could you help troubleshoot this error? I've check the user account ACLs etc and everything seems to be working fine.

Thank you! Ludo.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Matteo Scaramuccia
Re: Error 500 on loading "style.php" during plugin installation
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Hi Ludovic,
could you look into the content of the HTTP Status 500 response (tab Response)?
If you enable the debugging at DEVELOPER level in Moodle it could give you some details about the error (missing extension, wrong permissions, ...) unless there is a bug about a not included file into that plug-in (WSOD).
What is the plug-in? Just QR Code, https://moodle.org/plugins/block_qrcode, or another one?

HTH,
Matteo

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ludovic Fourrage
Re: Error 500 on loading "style.php" during plugin installation

Thanks for the quick reply Matteo. I think I finally figured it out. There are additional settings in IIS that I didn't change, especially the "FastCGI" settings that include the max number of requests, and activity timeout. I increased these numbers and everything is back to normal.

I hope it'll help others you may bump into these issues in the future!

Cheers, Ludo.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)