Guests can access course without permission

Guests can access course without permission

by Federica Marra -
Number of replies: 5
Dear all,

I am struggling with some settings and permissions of one of the courses of our Moodle.

The course is currently setup with the Manual enrollment and the Auto-enrollment methods. (no guest access selected). Nevertheless when I try to login as guest, I can access the course and even complete activities.

I have changed the category of course (maybe it was a category permission), but still guests can access.

I have backed up and restored the course into a new - empty and just created - one without the overruling of course configuration. Guests can still access

I have added the "Guest access" as enrollment method and disabled it. Guests can still access.

Anyone has an idea of what the problem might be? It is risky for us to leave the guest access because our users might forget to login and finish the course without really finishing it. As it is a course we offer for external stakeholders, it would be great if they don't have to do it twice!

We are using Moodle 3.1.4

Thanks a lot! Looking forward to receive your suggestions!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Federica Marra

Re: Guests can access course without permission

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Is it just this course?  In the course edit settings page, is guest access enabled?

What activities can they complete?  (This indicates a much bigger problem...)

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Federica Marra -

Dear Emma,

thanks a lot for your reply!  I have checked with other courses but this is the first one for which we noticed the problem. We usually use the Self-enrollment option and with that guests cannot access.

In theory they can follow the all course until the end (resources used are: file, H5P interactive videos, lesson).

I can't find the guest access option in the course edit settings. Can you give me some more info, please? In which section would that be?

Thanks again!

In reply to Federica Marra

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I apologize, that was in older versions.  Now, it is just in the Enrollment settings.  So, guest access is disabled under enrollment settings?  What happens if you enable it and add a password?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Emma,

In some sites in which I provide support we have seen this behaviour also.  You enable Guest Access at the site level.  Then in each course you should have to to enable the Guest Access Enrollment Method.  However, on courses in which the guest method is not present or turned off a guest can still access the course.

I cannot figure it out and I am stumped as well.  Most sites are Moodle 3.3.

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Emma Richardson -

Is there a tracker item somewhere?  If you can reproduce, Chris, we should make sure there is one in.