Need help with quiz please.

Need help with quiz please.

by Rik Hall -
Number of replies: 6

I am trying to help a colleague who is using Moodle 3.2  They are brand new to Moodle and they have a question bank with 47 questions and want to know how to limit the quiz to ten questions for each attempt.  They have already created a quiz. They cannot find where to make the attempts only ten questions for each quiz. 

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Rik

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rik Hall

Re: Need help with quiz please.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Two steps to creating a quiz.  1) Add the quiz activity to a topic in Moodle and define the general characteristics of the quiz.  At this point, there are no questions in it.

2) Pick the quiz, you should see "Edit Quiz".  Pick this, and then add the 10 questions. (see graphic)

Attachment Quiz 10 Questions.jpg
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Rik Hall -

Thanks Rick

Do I assume that once the questions have been added "wrong" (number of questions not selected) that it cannot be changed. 

I should delete that quiz and make a new one, right?

Rik

In reply to Rik Hall

by Rick Jerz -

At this point, you can delete questions one at a time.  If you have just 2 or 3 surplus questions, this could be more efficient than starting from scratch.

However, in my own experience, I find it faster to create a new quiz and then add the correct questions.

Also, since I like to apply the same quiz settings, what I really do is to create a quiz, but before adding questions, duplicate this quiz for each topic.  Then I know that I have the correct quiz settings throughout my course.  Then, I edit the quiz name and due dates, and finally add the correct questions.   This process is most efficient for me.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

These days, you can efficiently delete many questions from a quiz. Use the 'Select multiple' button. (It's visible in your screen-grab, behind the pop-up.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rick Jerz -

Yep, I now see it.  (screen shot below shows it better)

Tim, I am always please with these new quiz features.  It shows several things: 1) there is always room for improvement, and 2) moodle developers really do listen to users and make improvements.

A couple weeks ago I was at a one-day seminar that was focusing on the product "Canvas."  In one presentation, a Canvas employee was showing some of the soon to come new features for quizzes within Canvas. What went through my mind was "Hmmm, someone in Canvas is finally looking a Moodle's quiz features and trying to duplicate them."  Well, Canvas has a lot of catching up to do.

Also, last summer I attended the Blackboard (MoodleMoot US) conference.  The newest Blackboard Ultra product only has three types of quiz questions!  How's that for their newest product?

Attachment Quiz - Select multiple.jpg