General discussion

White paper: 0. Scenarios

Picture of Doug Belshaw ??☠️✊
White paper: 0. Scenarios

An important piece of work as we scope out the MoodleNet project is the white paper we're putting together. This will set out  the vision for MoodleNet and should be complete by the end of 2017.

The white paper will focus on the needs and requirements of users in five scenarios:

1. New user (educator)
  2. Site admin
  3. Learner
  4. Instructional designer
  5. Developer
We need your help! Using our collective experience, let's think about realistic scenarios.

For example, if we consider the new user in Scenario 1, we might add:

• Has come to Moodle from a more basic system (e.g. Google Classroom) and is bewildered by the options
  • Needs to get her classes ready for the new year, and is frustrated by there being several ways to do the same thing

What would you add as bullet points under each of the five scenarios? What do people need, that MoodleNet might be able to provide?

Mary Cooch
Re: MoodleNet white paper (your help required!)

Suggestion for Scenario 2: Is a new site admin with no technical background. Has inherited a Moodle site from someone who left and needs to get up to speed quickly with the basics of Moodle administration.

Thanks Mary! I've added that to the planning section of the white paper: https://goo.gl/vwWRVD

(note: I'm now writing it on Google Docs instead of the wiki because it's easier to add direct feedback / comments / suggestions)

Many thanks to Mary and Adam who have contributed to these scenarios. I've fleshed out the six we've got so far with names, ages, location, job roles, desires, etc. but they could still do with some honing! 

The scenarios as they stand at the time of posting are copy/pasted below, but please go into the white paper to comment/edit this section! 

Scenario 1: Developer

Shanthi is an Australian developer with deep experience of Moodle and other open source software projects. As a 55 year-old seasoned professional, she has created and sustained a successful local Moodle Hub which takes up a lot of her time. Shanthi has a vision of connecting her localised Moodle Hub to a worldwide resource sharing network for two-way resource discovery, but never quite has the time to figure out how to do this. She’s keen to reduce the burden of administration and custom development for both herself and her team, but does not want to compromise on her vision.

Scenario 2: Content Author

Takeshi is a 37 year-old Japanese educator living in Kyoto who has been using Moodle for three years. During this time, he has collaborated with two other colleagues at his university to create course content. Takeshi has a strong desire to author educational content collaboratively with other members of the wider Moodle community and then share that content under an open license. This is both because he believes in the value of doing so, but also because he is looking to build his career, and sees this as positive way of bringing attention to his work.

Scenario 3: Learner

Seung is a 20 year-old Korean who is studying at the University of Florida in the USA. She is a motivated undergraduate student whose university is using Moodle. Seung is keen to connect with other learners who are studying the same subjects as her (Education and Sociology) as well as extend her learning in other areas. At the moment, she feels a little isolated, although she has found some contacts via the Moodle forums. Ideally, Seung would like to find people in a similar position to herself in other universities.

Scenario 4: Site admin

Uduak is a Nigerian Moodle site administrator with no technical background. He’s 47, and lives in Lagos. Uduak inherited a Moodle site from someone who left his non-profit and now needs to get up-to-speed quickly with the basics of Moodle administration. He has scoured the Moodle discussion forums and read as much as he can, but could do with a helping hand. Uduak’s organisation is poorly-funded, so he feels that he cannot reach out to a Moodle Partner. He isn’t sure what to do next.

Scenario 5: Instructional designer

Lázaro is a Portuguese instructional designer living in Porto and working for a large company who has an in-house elearning programme which makes use of Moodle. He’s 41 years of age and is new to Moodle, but experienced with other learning platforms. Lázaro is searching for innovative ways to enhance learning with Moodle tools and has found a small group of colleagues in Portugal and Brazil with whom he interacts via Twitter. Ideally, he’d like to extend and enhance this network in a way that wasn’t quite so public.

Scenario 6: Educator

Nashwa is an Egyptian educator living in Cairo who is new to Moodle. She’s 32, teaches at a university, and leads a busy life. Although she has experience in using tools with more basic functionality, such as Google Classroom, she is confused by the wealth of options and features available in Moodle. Nashwa needs to get her classes ready for the new years, and has become frustrated that she can’t seem to find quick answers to questions she has about setting up courses.

Thanks to those who gave feedback, either publicly or privately on the personas section of the white paper: https://goo.gl/vwWRVD. Although they can still be improved, I think they're shaping up rather nicely!

Please do give your feedback directly in the Google Doc. These personas need to 'leap off the page' for readers of the white paper and ring true in the eyes of the Moodle community.

An example of one of the six personas is given below. What needs adding/removing/changing? 

Scenario 1: Educator

C'est moi :-)

Hi Doug,

I feel that (at least) one scenario should indicate that he only speaks his primary language (or isn't fluent at all with english).

I know for sure that one of the reason of Moodle success in France was (and is) because it was completly translated in french, and there is an active french community.

I also know that if MoodleNet isn't translated/accessible in french, and with french content, you'll have nearly nobody from France. An exemple of this problem is the Job database, where you can't filter by language. So nearly unusable (and useless) for french people.

Séverin

That's a great suggestion - thanks Séverin. I've updated Scenario 5 (Valentín) to read:

"He has scoured the Moodle discussion forums and read as much as he can, but he has only a basic grasp of English so could do with a helping hand."

Please do keep the suggestions coming - and please do feel free to comment / add thoughts directly to the Google Doc, too!

Picture of Debashish Datta

Hi Doug. I went through the personas. They have been well captured.

However, It seems that the educational institutions personas is limited to schools.  I think we can consider:

- Medical Schools ( where the mode of delivery can be very complex). I think the implementation of MoodleNet will be crucial.

- Law Schools - I think the delivery is complex as the students are assessed on case studies.

I think a some Personas can be included of Professional Institutions too.

MoodleNet can be a boon to the Corporate world as most of the learning happens during coffee sessions. If we are building a solution around workplace then, I feel its imperative to have these personas included:

- Instructional Designers : They are key to designing instructions and they are not content authors. They can change the productivity and other key matrices if Instructions are designed correctly

- Training Managers - It will be a boon for them to interact with their audience through this channel. I have worked in this role and I wish I had something like this.

If you agree, I can try and build some personas and send across.

Thanks 

Debashish Datta

Thanks Debashish! We appreciate the positive words, and that you've moved your comment to this forum.

Originally, we had a much wider range of personas, including developers and instructional designers. However, the steer is that we should be extremely focused on educators first and foremost.

That being said, if you think there's something missing from the personas, we're all ears! Here are a couple of ways you could contribute:

1. Suggest ways in which we can modify the existing personas to fit in with some of the contexts you mention.
  2. Come up with additional personas to add to the six we already have. I'd be wary of scenario-overload, though!

You should have the ability to add 'Suggestions' directly to the Google Doc, or you can add them to this forum. Thanks for your interest and contributions!

Re: White paper: Scenarios

Following a conversation with Martin Dougiamas this week, and some brainstorming with colleagues at Moodle HQ, we've re-scoped the scenarios to be much more focused on educators:

1. Educator: Teacher (K12) - Spain
  2. Educator: Lecturer (University) - Japan
  3. Educator: Trainer (workplace) - Canada
  4. Learning technologist (College) - Australia
  5. Teaching Assistant (K12) - Brazil
  6. Program co-ordinator (University) - South Africa

It's important to get these right, so please do keep on giving us your feedback in the Google Doc, where I've fleshed out these new personas! https://goo.gl/vwWRVD 

Picture of Wayne Gibbons

Comment added on Google Doc regarding adding the role of researcher to the lecturer scenario. Wayne

Thanks Wayne, would love to you flesh this out. If you had to describe a lecturer who also engages in research who is a potential user of MoodleNet, how would you describe them? smile

Picture of Wayne Gibbons

I’m not sure it requires a separate scenario, but perhaps would fit well in the Lecturer scenario? 

I’d describe a lecturer engaged in research using Moodle tools as a practitioner researcher, who incorporates Moodle activities and data analysis functions as part of their research. This goes a little beyond the usual uses for Moodle, if the manner in which most people I know use Moodle is anything to go by. I guess the intended outcome from such work would be to improve the learning experience for students, but also to inform the future development of Moodle itself (think “what works and why?”). 

For example, I have found limitations to Moodle in my research into digital badges which I would not have known about had I not been engaged in the research. I would hope that a community of practice would be a good place to discuss such limitations, with a view to suggesting ways to improve Moodle over time. 

There is a crossover here with the learning technologist  scenario too. 

Interesting, Wayne! We can't cover every scenario, so I think the needs of practitioner researchers are probably covered, but if the design of Project MoodleNet starts going in a direction you think doesn't help you and your colleagues, you should pipe up!

Re: White paper: 0. Scenarios

A very small update, but I've modified these scenarios from being numbered to being represented by a letter. This is to avoid any confusion with the (numbered) components of Project MoodleNet mentioned in the white paper.

They now read:

• Scenario A: Teacher (K12)
  • Scenario B: Lecturer (university)
  • Scenario C: Trainer (workplace)
  • Scenario D: Learning Technologist (college)
  • Scenario E: Teaching Assistant (K12)
  • Scenario F: Programme Co-ordinator (university)