Languages

The English language pack cannot be uninstalled

Picture of Mark Hamilton
The English language pack cannot be uninstalled

Hi Moodlers!

Moodle Version: 3.1

How do I uninstall the 'en' language pack?

When I try, I get the message: "The English language pack cannot be uninstalled"

I've got en_us and en language packs installed. All my code assumes users are assigned en_us by default. Having 'en' around creates the potential for failure. I know that I can limit language choices using the langlist option (which currently removes the lang selection list all together with my custom code).

Thanks for any help!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Dan Marsden
Re: The English language pack cannot be uninstalled
Core developersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersPlugins guardiansTestersTranslators

En_us is not a complete lang pack. It's a child pack of the en lang pack with specific US strings changed. If you could remove the en pack 95% of the strings on your site would be missing.

Picture of Mark Hamilton

Haha! Thanks Dan!

So, why would the langlist (Languages on language menu) hide my language choices dropdown? 

Answer: Probably language caching

Picture of David Mudrák
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersPlugins guardiansTestersTranslators

Sorry Mark, I don't get it. Are you experiencing a problem with the languages menu?