Spelling Tests

Spelling Tests

by Chris Kenniburg -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello All,
We are wondering how others handle spelling tests. 
Is there a trick we are missing to turn off spellchecking for shortanswer type questions?  Students can quickly see they misspelled a word when it is underlined in red by the browser.

We think we might have a solution using a render override to fix the shortanswer question type for K-12 students but I am interested in seeing if other solutions exists and what issues you might have come across.

Thanks,
Chris
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

Re: Spelling Tests

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Before I retired, in my lab all I could do was make sure all my 7th and 8th graders used Firefox, and before a test, in it's options we turned off, Check your spelling as you type. I would have them go around the room and verify this was done on their classmates computers. I then had a monitoring program that let me see a miniature of all student monitors during testing so I could make sure they did not turn spell check back on.

Eventually, I just switched to drag and drop with all the common misspelled versions or each word along with the correctly spelled word. I even started including the words in drag and drop phrases, so they would have to pick the right punctuation, capitalization, etc.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

That is a great idea to use drag and drop or even a drop-down of suggested spellings.

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Nicole Page -

Depending on the course and the need (a lot of my courses use enough "weird" words and Latin I don't have to worry about spell check!) I have used two different formats.

1. Either a drop-down list with random common misspellings of the word or a multiple choice with the same misspellings. 

2. Audio files, annoying to set up but if I'm not too worried about spell check I record the audio and have them type the word they hear smile

The other thing I'm careful to do is set a (reasonable) time limit to the test to try and make it harder for them to reply on spellcheck, etc smile