Installing and upgrading help

Downgrading Problem

Picture of Carlo Doe
Downgrading Problem

Hello Guys,

I have a dilema, I'm new to moodle and I have less knowledge as of the moment. Apparently, my not so techy boss accessed our cpanel and tried to upgrade the moodle site on her own using softaculous. Because of it, the following things happened in order.

1. She upgraded from 3.2 to 3.4 using softaculous, and then she changed the PHP version to version 7. 

2. For certain reasons, she changed the PHP Version to older one and restored the Moodle back to 3.2 again using Softaculous backup restore.

3. Now the site shows the "Error reading from database".

I am downloading the files straight from the website including the database. I am not sure how to fix this problem. Any one knows how to restore the Moodle with the files that I currently have? Any assistance would be appreciated.

PS: I have scolded my Boss about it, and yes, she's very sorry.

Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ken Task
Re: Downgrading Problem
Particularly helpful Moodlers

First thing I'd do is call the provider and ask about why their software failed to perform ... and I wouldn't be nice!

Ask them about the Softac backups ... when was that last made and what does it include?

The database name you see in the config.php file of the 3.2 moodle code is the one to inspect..   There is also a DB host, DB user, and a DB password in there.  You might need help from their helpdesk to sort out which DB info you should be using for your 3.2 version.

If you acquired new code from moodle.org it might be slightly higher than the version you were running as a 3.2.   There is a version.php file that shows specific version information.   The backups should contain both the config.php and version.php files.

Don't forget to also download your moodledata directory as the contents of filedir must match the meta data that's in the DB (the correct DB ... the one that's of version 3.2.

Also, ask when was the last system backup they made of your site ... the one they probably have for server meltdown.    Do that ASAP ... it might have been just 5 days ago as some providers might do that twice a month 1st of month and 15th or so of month.

Got a legal department?   Sic 'em! (IMHO).

Ok, defenders of Softaculous and cPanel, now is your chance to shine! :\

Best of luck!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
Picture of Howard Miller
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

"defenders of Softaculous and cPanel"  thoughtful

Did I ever mention... "don't use Softaculous for anything that matters"?

Picture of Emma Richardson
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

"defenders of Softaculous and cPanel"  - a mythical creature of unknown origin!

Have you tried changing the database version back?  I second the suggestion to contact your web provider - sounds like a full restore of a backup might be in order.

Picture of Ken Task

Hey!   Found where the Softaculous 'myhical creature' lives!

https://www.softaculous.com/board/index.php?

Wow!  Can get a free copy of it.

https://www.softaculous.com/board/index.php?tid=1890

And that is also where Softaculous users installing/updating/upgrading Moodle can get support ...

https://www.softaculous.com/board/index.php?as=bmbye215c7ljzq5notknxeoljszjro27&tid=5840

'in the spirit of discovery',

Ken

Picture of Carlo Doe

Hello Mr. Ken,

Thank you for the response. We tried to do what you have advised but the problem is still there. We have also contacted our Hosting Company and mentioned that the problem is not server sided so they can't help anything. They did mention that the problem might be inside the site, particularly in the database.

Any advice I should do so I could salvage the website? We're feeling down already.. 

Kind Regards,

PS: The Hosting tried to restore it. But same thing happened.

Picture of Ken Task

Obviously, where you host isn't Moodle friendly.

And, obviously, the problem is with the database ... so 'techncial support' from provider is less than helpful .... duh!

Ok, let's see what you have ....

First, a concept ... one doesn't 'downgrade' a moodle.   To revert back to a previous version of Moodle one has to restore a backup of the database to a new database (the one originally used for the site is frapped) and two, and restore the backup of moodle code ... that matches.

So let's talk about the files you say you have:

The sql dump ... what's the date on the sql dump?   Is the date after or before the attempt to upgrade?

You need one that is dated *before* the upgrade attempt.

Do you have a backup of the code?   What's the date on the backup for code?  Is the date after or before the attempt to upgrade?

You probably need to look at those backups in the providers interface to get accurate date info.  If the backup files do not contain date/time stamp information in the filenames themselves, when you download to your local system, that operating system of the machine you downloaded to will date/time stamp those files (backups) with the dates they were created on your local system.

At this point, one needs to attempt to restore from dates of files.

An upgrade doesn't touch anything important in the moodledata directory .... but be sure you have a backup of that ... even in current state.

Rather than go into if/then which at this point will confuse, let's stop at this point and you can answer the above.

Please respond to the above here in these forums.

Note: I'll PM you with an offer you shouldn't refuse.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Why don't you ask the hoster to restore a snapshot before the accident?