using of meta-tags in Moodle

using of meta-tags in Moodle

by Mindaugas Kazlauskas -
Number of replies: 8

hello everybody,

does anyone know about using of meta-tags in Moodle?

I'm interested in using of meta tags in search - is it used in Moodle?

Thanks in advance for any kind of information.

Mindaugas.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mindaugas Kazlauskas

Re: using of meta-tags in Moodle

by David Maynard -
I have the same question.  I can't find anywhere in the setup where I can type up some user-defined metatags.
In reply to David Maynard

by N Hansen -
I'm not so sure metatags are necessary. I get people to my site through all sorts of obscure search terms simply because they are included in the content on my pages. My advice is to make sure your site is open and have a lot of content. I've got public forums and Google is crawling my site at least every couple days now, and I'm the top search result for phrases like "study Egyptology", "study hieroglyphs", "study hieroglyphics" after being online only 8 months. It takes time, but if you have a lot of content updated frequently and a couple high pr sites linking to you, you will get there. 
In reply to N Hansen

by Frances Bell -
Thanks N.  Google does crawl us regularly and we come up the ranking for specific references to our name 'CAB' or 'CABWEB' combined with related search terms, but we are not coming for the sort of search terms people might use who did not know our name e.g. 'international student collaboration online' etc.  I have had a good look at your site, and I note that you use the news item version of the front page, and have fairly wordy news items. For example, the word hieroglyph appears 5 times on your front page.
Hmmm, that has given me something to think about.  I'll consult the team next week.
BTW, I am really impressed with the level and quality of interaction on your open discussion forums wink
In reply to N Hansen

by Steve Roberts -
UNIQUE page title tags, keyword meta, and description meta may not be REQUIRED but are HELPFUL to getting your site ranked higher and any system wortth its salt will give the admin a method of editing/updating page titles or pull page titles form the lesson name/course name and give admin a method to add/edit meta keywords and meta descrioption to each pages, course, category, lesson, activity etc. as well as provide a search engine friendly URL (mod_rewrite_)

Kinetic
In reply to Steve Roberts

by Fred Roller -
The solution I found was going to your ../theme/[your theme] directory.  For me it was ../theme/formal_white.  There you will find a file called header.html.  If you are comfortable with writing html comment out the old reference for keywords (you may want to put it back later ;) and add your keyword code.

<META NAME=KEYWORDS CONTENT="your, keywords, here, seperated, by, commas"/>

Hope this helps.  btw this will place the keywords globally.  All of your pages will have them.

Fred
In reply to Fred Roller

by Carmsie Melodie -

Many thanks for this - very helpful. I also found an interesting article online that further helped me formulate header html.  Perhaps it will benefit others too. 

1. Meta Description – If your webpage were a commercial, this would be its slogan. In our upcoming search behavior study in cooperation with SurveyMonkey we’ve found that 43.2% of people click on a given result due to the meta description. Gone are the days of meta descriptions that listed keywords and just said the “Official site of…” and the main purpose of this text is to draw the user in, let them know what to expect if they click and convince them to do so with a strong call to action. The kicker is you get 155 characters to make it happen; think of it as like writing a tweet, but with 15 extra characters.

Format:

<meta name=”description” content=”155 characters of message matching text with a call to action goes here”>

In reply to Mindaugas Kazlauskas

by Francis Vendrell -

Hello,

I am a bit concern about the absence of the meta description tag in quite a lot of pages of Moodle 2.5 (or other versions).

The meta tag description is very important when considering SEO (search engine optimization).

The meta tag description should be the actual description (one of the parameters) of the page

The standard theme includes the meta description tag for the home page, but it is absent at least for the course pages, the URL resource pages, and probably many more pages, resources and activities.

This is important for the Moodle public pages so they can be indexed properly by search engines.

It is probably quite easy for an Moodle expert to correct this.

Is this not very clear for me if the issue is related solely to a particular theme or more generally to the Moodle core.

Does anybody have any idea? Why the meta description tag has not been fully implemented within Moodle? It's an unfortunate oversight!!

See also https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=34142