Question on Natural Grading with Weights

Question on Natural Grading with Weights

by CS R -
Number of replies: 6

I have been using Moodle for a while but am familiar with only the basic features.  The version of Moodle that has been installed is 3.3.2

When I choose natural grading, I find that the Max Grade box is grayed out and has a value of 100 that I am unable to change.  I was hoping that that would be a number I can set.  Is this the default behavior or is this due to an incorrect setting by the site admin at my location?

What I want for my course is this: Quiz I has been evaluated for 40 marks and needs to be converted to 20 marks (I was hoping to achieve this by setting max grade to 40 and set weight to 0.5); similarly for Quiz II.  The final has been valued for 100 marks and I want to scale it to 60 (using a weight of 0.6).  Hence I would end up with on overall total of 20 + 20 + 60 = 100.  From my limited understanding I was thinking of achieving this with natural grading  with max grade of  40,  40, 100 and weights of 0.5, 0.5, and 0.6.  Is this correct?  If so, how can I then get past the inability to set max grade to other than 100 for Quiz I and Quiz II?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

csr

In reply to CS R

Re: Question on Natural Grading with Weights

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

It sounds like the max grade might have been set at the admin level.

However, why don't you just use the weighting to achieve what you want?  You shouldn't need to adjust the individual scores and the weights - just change the weights to 20, 20 and 60.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by CS R -

It is true that if I let max grade be the default 100 for both the quizzes and the final, then letting the weights as you suggest would get me what i want.  But then I'd have to scale up to 100 the marks that are there for the quizzes.  I wanted to avoid doing this.  If the inability to change max grade in Natural is a system level setting, then I can request the admin here to make it user adjustable, if that's the right setting for it.

In reply to CS R

by CS R -

I am continuing to look for more info on this because my own understanding is limited.  Scott Watkins in this write-up says under Natural grading, "The category maximum cannot be edited".  However, this screenshot from this write-up shows max grade to be different from 100.  Needless to say, I am terribly confused.

In reply to CS R

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The max grade of the category is the total points of the assignments within the category.  You can change the point value of the assignments to adjust the category total but then you can adjust the weights of the category to make them worth however much you want in relation to the total grade.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by CS R -

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll try adjusting category points; the problem I am facing is that the moment I choose Natural grading, the max grade box defaults to 100 and grayed out (i.e., not adjustable).  Let me see if the setup will allow me to adjust the category points.

In reply to CS R

by CS R -

By adding and editing appropriately the needed categories I was able to achieve finally what I was looking to implement.  I had to edit the course total and make it 100, add proper id numbers and use them correctly, etc.  All's well that ends well.  Thanks for your suggestions.