Installing and upgrading help

Really necessary to convert from Antelope to Barracuda?

Picture of James Becker
Really necessary to convert from Antelope to Barracuda?

I’m running Moodle 3.4 on a fully managed VPS so I do not have access to the php.ini or anything. I also do not have access to anywhere where I would be able to use any command line commands.

So my question is: How can I convert my MySQL database tables from Antelope to Barracuda file format?? Also… is it really necessary do the conversion??

Ideas??

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ken Task
Re: Really necessary to convert from Antelope to Barracuda?
Particularly helpful Moodlers

If your system **isn't on shared**, would think the provider could do that you - uhhh, unless I don't understand what a fully managed VPS means.

Also, ask provider if the user seen in the config.php as the DB user has 'alter' privileges.   The checks on Moodle treats the check as if the Moodle server had a dedicated DB server and that the user in config.php has almost the same privileges as the 'super user' of the DB server (at least alter).

All that to say, if you have phpmyadmin, and the moodle db user has alter privlieges, one could alter the database for the moodle to the required utf8mb4 charater set and utf8mb4_unicode_ci and that will suffice.

At least that's been my experience with a server that host multiple moodles - older versions -> newer where I didn't want to set the server defaults.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of James Steerpike

I have had to move back to a shared server after finding issues with my VPS sites being fire-walled.

As I understand it, the character set is a collation which can be set from PHPAdmin on shared sites. However Barracuda is a file format and required for Moodle post 3.0. On my shared host - on both softacalous and manual installs - the database is created but no tables are present on all supported versions. Moodle 3.0 is as high as you can go and an upgrade would really break things. There are instructions for converting to Barracuda file format during an install but they require access to a command line - so maybe it is just an issue with attempting an install using cPanel.

I am still trying to resolve this with my host.

Picture of Ken Task

@James Steerpike

So you are recommending to the original poster in this thread he go back to shared hostting? ... or just sharing your experiences with your hosting provider (who has yet to be named/shared).   Uhhhh ... does the original poster host with the same provider?

I have to ask ... 'my VPS sites being fire-walled' ... I would hope all servers (shared host or not shared host are to some extent).    With a VPS most providers turn over much of the administration of that server to the customer.   But even then, the image that is provided the customer isn't supposed to be a 'honey pot' with all ports open and all services running.   I would hope there is some boundary firewall limiting access to the traditional ports for serving typically hosted apps ... like port 80.

So since we've hijacked the original posters problem, 2 things ...

What does that mean?  'my VPS sites being fire-walled'

and 2 ... share where you host.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of James Steerpike
I am not recommending the poster go back to shared hosting.

But I am incredibly frustrated at the moment with a number of problems - the requirement to use Barracuda being one of them. Apologies if I have hijacked this thread. The poster and I do seem to have one thing in common - no access to a command line and a need to upgrade to Barracuda.

I work in a country where many sites are blocked by a country wide firewall. I have set up two different VPS in different locations and both are occasionally inaccessible -  unless a Virtual Private Network is used which directs traffic through an overseas server. The only site that seems not to have these problems is my shared hosting site. So reluctantly I am back to that site.  I could try another VPS - but after ordering a site, setting it up and directing my students there I could find them locked out weeks later. I gave up on all my work several weeks ago and have only now tried to recreate a site - not for this semester but for the next one.

Shared hosting is a pain - but I did run 350 students on shared hosting and Moodle 2.8 last semester with no downtime. However the requirement - enforced in the latest Moodle - to run Barracuda causes the latest Moodle to fail install. That is why I am using an old and unsupported version of Moodle.

So Question 1 - blocked by the Great Fire Wall. Not all the time - just every now and again.
Q2 Mochahost.

Picture of Ken Task

Thanks.  That definitely explains it ... and your situation ... basically, how to circumvent the 'Great Wall of China'.   And can feel your pain ... and know you are frustrated.   Can't really help with that ... I take two aspirin, a cold beer, and a nap sometimes (wouldn't recommend that to everyone, but that seems to work for me).

Will say this ... am not a DB admin person, but from what I've been reading about that world, Barracuda etc. seems to be where it's headed for a variety of reasons and it does involve Asian languages.

The sooner providers also realize that, the better this whole situation will be.

Since we're sharing ... within 1 minute (that's one minute) of spinning up a new instance of a Linux server it's poked and probed by certain IP blocks which come from guess where ... China.  Support a Moodle server here in Texas that had a course of Mandarin Chinese and that server was poked and probed all sorts of ways ... continously ... aggressively ... even to the point where it became necessary to blackhole ranges of IP addresses from that Country.

All that is 'politics' ... but even more serious if one thinks about it a minute or two.

As a graduate student at a uni in Texas working on a Masters in Ed. Tech, met and worked with exchange students from China.  Sharp students ... very dedicate to their studies and acquisition of knowledge ... likeable also ... good people ... this to say 'we commoners' have more in common and can 'get along' ... it's our governments and economies that sometimes have the issues.

Ok ... off the soap box now ... sorry for the rant the other way.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Ken Task

@James Steerpike

Got to looking to see if there existing a Moodle Partner in China ... guess what ... there is!!!!!

https://moodle.com/2016/02/19/moodle-welcomes-moodlepartner-dandian-software/

Page dated: Feb. 2016

Edited: just a minute after posting the above:

Link to the company providing:

http://dandian.net/moodle

Renders a 'not found' and also proudly 'announces' that it's Windows! :| Win32 no less.

Hmmmmm ...

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of James Becker

Hello Ken Task,

You said:

=============================
"If your system **isn't on shared**, would think the provider could do that you - uhhh, unless I don't understand what a fully managed VPS means.

Also, ask provider if the user seen in the config.php as the DB user has 'alter' privileges.   The checks on Moodle treats the check as if the Moodle server had a dedicated DB server and that the user in config.php has almost the same privileges as the 'super user' of the DB server (at least alter).

All that to say, if you have phpmyadmin, and the moodle db user has alter privileges, one could alter the database for the moodle to the required utf8mb4 charater set and utf8mb4_unicode_ci and that will suffice."
=============================

I do have phpmyadmin. The Moodle db user does have alter privileges.

I have altered the db to use the utf8mb4 character set and utf8mb4_unicode_ci.

I still get the error and cannot install Moodle 3.4.

How in the world am I going to get Moodle 3.4 installed?????  Anyone have any more ideas????

Picture of Ken Task

Well, I use to get away with that vr 3.3 sad

with

innodb_large_prefix

and

innodb_file_per_table

in my.cnf

So do you have super user credentials to the DB server?   If so, you should be able to change from Antelope to Barracuda.

IF it takes a message to your help desk, message them! smile

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of James Becker

HiYa Ken,

What really confuses me is that the db in question does not even have any tables yet. The Moodle installation will create them. Not only that the install has not even asked for the name of the db so how can it say it has Antelope file format??????

Ideas??

Picture of Ken Task

Think the check is looking at global settings for the DB server ... those found in my.cnf.  That's where one finds file format setting for Barracuda.   It's NOT looking at the settings for the DB itself.   The assumption is that moodle server is on/using a DB server to which the OP has superuser credentials.   Although in doing the script located in moodlecode/admin/cli/ for compressing tables does have an option to show the SQL ... which shows alter commands.

Seems to me that even if remotely hosted on shared, the OP should have access to alter their own databases.

Before I get into the installer, I create the database manually and while doing that one can set character set/collation.   I've even discovered that one could partially fill in the DB variables of a copied config-dist.php file to a config.php file and be able to use the CLI scripts prior to actual installation/upgrade.

Qualifications for above response ... none ... not a DB admin/expert ... but do have to work through problems many times.

'spirit of sharing', Ken