Installing and upgrading help

Lost all H5P when I upgraded from 3.3 to 3.4

A Coloradian who was sucked into facebook against his wishes
Lost all H5P when I upgraded from 3.3 to 3.4

Not a problem for me, I am still just experimenting and testing. I did not bother to back anything up, there was nothing important.

I suppose that stuff like this has to be expected during an upgrade. It's probably not a bug.

This is just information for anybody else who might be upgrading.

I lost everything that had anything to do with H5P, including the plugin itself.

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Lost all H5P when I upgraded from 3.3 to 3.4
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Did you follow the instructions in the documentation Upgrading, particularly the bit about  checking for plugin updates?

Upgrading documentation

Picture of Thomas Marstrander
Plugin developers

Hi,

I tried to reproduce this with an upgrade from 3.3.1 to 3.4 with lots of content, and was not able to reproduce this. I also tested H5P with a fresh install of Moodle 3.4 without problems.

Please make sure you followed the steps to upgrade Moodle in detail, like Mary pointed out.

If you're able to reproduce this still, we'd be very interested to hear some detailed steps on how to reproduce this and more information on your setup, it is a very severe bug if people are losing their content when upgrading.

Thanks for reporting this, hope you'll be able to provide an update here so we can look at this in more detail.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

I should have mentioned that I upgraded with "softaculous."

For those who don't know, softaculous is a web application found in cpanel, and is often provided by web hosting companies.

I should have also taken better notes.

As I remember, the upgrade also required a php module called "intl". I had to contact my web hosting company to provide that. I think it also required a another php module (I cannot think of the name), but my web hosting company provided that as well. 

It was also suggested that I change MySQL to the barracuda file format, but I did not do that. I am not certain if I can - I will have to talk to my web hosting company.

Since I did not have any important content in my 3.3 installation, I did not take any precautions, or follow any instructions.

For the most part, my installation went quickly, and smoothly. But I did lose my h5p plugin, and all of my h5p content. I just thought I would let others know before they upgraded.

Picture of Emma Richardson
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

We tend to recommend that you avoid using installers like softaculous.  We have no idea what exactly they do to the code and, as such, are unable to provide any assistance.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Ivica Matotek
Testers

Hi!

You said that you lost also plugin, so, did you tried to install h5p plugin again. What do you see when you go to Administration -> Plugins -> is H5P listed?

Ivica

Picture of Matteo Scaramuccia
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Hi Ivica,
it's worth noting that the actual conversation has been "moved" to https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=361760.

HTH,
Matteo

> so, did you tried to install h5p plugin again.

Yes, and it installed with no trouble.

> What do you see when you go to Administration -> Plugins -> is H5P listed?

Yes it is there.

However, I am having problems getting H5P to work correctly. For now, I have given up on it. I describe my problems here:

H5P is unreliable and disappointing
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=361760

Picture of Derek Chaplin

*** UPDATE ***
It seems it might be related to the OpCache as I just reset it using the OpCache Management plugin. Now the Multiple Choice type seems active as I can click on the Detials button and choose Use and the content editor is displayed properly. However when I click on the Save and Display button the screen clears and I get an error message saying Exception - Class 'finfo' not found

*********************************************************************************

I just upgraded to H5P version 1.6 this morning and now the content type Install feature doesn't work. 

1. Upgraded from version 1.5 to 1.6 after checking for new plugin versions. Used Moodle's standard click to upgrade feature. Upgrade installed with no error messages.
  2. Created a new course and added an H5P activity
  3. Filled in Name, Description then clicked on Content type selector; chose Multiple Choice
  4. Since it wasn't installed, clicked the Get button and then  the Install button on the subsequent screen. The Install button dimmed for several seconds then came back again and content type window closed. No content editor was displayed.
  5. Clicked on Save and display and error message was displayed at the Editor line just under the description window You must select a content type.
  6. Repeated steps 1 to 5 selecting a different content type and the same error occured everytime.

I have un-installed and re-installed the plugin several times but the same thing happens everytime. Didn't have any problems with H5P prior to this.

I should mention that I recently upgraded the server from EasyApache 3 to EasyApache 4 and installed OpCache on PHP 7. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Picture of Derek Chaplin

Problem solved!

Turns out it was the fact that OpCache was installed and enabled during the upgrade from EasyApache 3 to EA 4. Logging in as root and using the EasyApache 4 configuration tool, it was an easy matter to remove opcache.

Result: No more problems with installing H5P modules or SCORM packages.