search by tag

search by tag

by Gratiela Dascalu -
Number of replies: 5

Hello, everyone! I'm new to Moodle and still trying to find my way around. 

The Moodle version used is 3.3.1. On the front page I have the available courses listed and I need to add a search by tag input box that will filter the courses based on the tags that were added to them. I've been looking for a plugin to help achieve this, but no luck. Do you know of a plugin that would help? Or a way to modify the standard search to search through the tags and not the course title?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gratiela Dascalu

Re: search by tag

by Karen Holland -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Gratiela!

Have you considered adding a Tags block to the default Dashboard for everyone, explained here? It's not quite the same thing, but will show tags with varying font sizes based on the number of times they're used in your courses. Each tag is then also a link to show just the courses using that tag.

Here's the Moodle HQ Using Tags guidelines.

You may also have to configure the Tags block to ensure that you're not showing all the user-generated tags as well. 

• Block title - "Course tags" as the default Tags is a bit brief...
  • Number of tags to display - between 1 and 80
  • Display tags - advise setting this to "Only standard", as default is All - this allows you to control display by managing the standard tags
  • Tagged items context - leave this as System
Hope you find this useful!

Attachment tag_config.png
Attachment tag_display.png
Attachment tag_results.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Karen Holland

by Gratiela Dascalu -

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, it doesn't help. It can't be in the Dashboard since visitors that are not logged in must be able to see it too.  On the front page the available courses are displayed and the requirement is to be able to filter them by tags. Do you know how I could do this? Maybe a tutorial or something?

In reply to Gratiela Dascalu

by Karen Holland -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Ok, well if your site doesn't require visitors to log in, what you could do instead is use the Tag search page, which is a site page, therefore normally accessible to all visistors.

To promote it, provide a BIG link called something like "Search Courses by Keyword" at the top of your front page, normally accessible through  <yoursite>/course/editsection.php?id=2. Get the link to go to <yoursite>/tag/search.php and see how it works.

You could also change the title of this page to something more suitable by getting an admin level account to use the language string customization feature documented here, at Site administration > Language > Language customization. Just be sure to search for the strings containing "Search tags"!

It is very straight-forward and simple to do via the GUI, and then your administrator just needs to clear the old language string caches by going to Site administration > Development > Purge all caches.

One thing to remember, this will show ALL tags on the site, so if it's possible, limit your tags to just course tagging, or at least disable the user contributed ones, else you could get some crazy or offensive words on this page.

If it absolutely has to be on the front page itself, you're probably looking at customisation work, to be done by a Moodle Partner.

Attachment manage_tags.png
Attachment tag_page.png